lifespan of braid

Tiny Tin

i was wondering how long braid lasts? i do have some fins 30lb (prt) that i've had for years..it's at least 6 years old. it's on a TLD 20 it hasn't been used for some time as i don't go offshore now. it's still as strong as the day i bought it. conversley i have some fireline 6lb that's looking like it might be failing at times it's about 4 months old. so it got me to thinking how long does braid last? i guess usage will be all important but what dya reckon for average use..? :)

I've got 4lb Crystal on my usual rod and take about a 1/2 metre off the end every now and then as it's used in gnarly creeks as well as luring in a rocky environment. Better to be safe than sorry! But my big rod with 20lb Crystal just keeps on keeping on, but doesn't get as much use, and in much less obstacle laiden waters.

should last a fair while john, although saying that i do end up replacing my braid pretty frequently because i throw it in stupid places and end up having to cut off 5m at a time sometimes

use some quality braid scissors to avoid excessive fraying at your knots and you should be fine with the fins on your TLD. also wash your line with freshwater after use so salt crystals dont form and weaken your knots

if you dont chase fish that take excessively long runs you can also flip your braid over, wind it off to empty spool/reel number 1, then on to empty spool/reel number 2, then back on your main spool so you have the fresh "unused" braid on the top

hi dan..i was thinking more in terms of when it tires..wears out..or just breaks coz it's gotten too old. yep more in the lines of wear n tear as you know dan i'd put a thousand yards on a reel if it'd fit..lol and me mum always made sure i wash behind me ears..no carrots growing there..lol. hi kev..i use a leader that's at least the length of me rod (fishing one..the others too short) so the leader takes the pain of the obstacles in the water. it's also useful coz i fish as light as i can but still use big baits..so i can tie 20lb leader to 6lb line using decent sized poddy mullet ect,. to catch big lizards..regular snaps..cod and what have yer. i find the size of the mainline is far more important than the leader (fat mainline ya can't feel a thing and it reduces bites due to weight)..especially when in the bay where the only thing that's on the fish's side is structure or the patience of the fisho..you can get some big fish on light line..it's harder the other way around..cheers lads

Archived