Baitcaster Around $200

burger93

Gday i am thinking of getting a baitcaster for flicking hard bodies and large soft plastics and trolling.I am looking around the 200 mark as its my 1st good baitcaster and dont think i derseve a great reel as i am only starting using HB and baitcaster reelect.I also would like to no wat size line i should be using on these reels.

cheers guys and info will be helpful as this is gunna be me xmas present ahah

cheers sean

looking for brand new, 2nd hand?

what kind of fish are you chasing, do you require casting large distances, large line capacity, strong winching power (for skulldrag situations like jacks etc) or more finesse, fast retrieve vs slow retrieve, etc?

freshwater bass fishing, freshwater barra fishing, saltwater applications?

size of line is depending on what fish you're chasing again

if you can have a think and answer those questions we will be able to recommend some reels

Thanks for pointing these out mate. I am chasing fish like flattys,small snapper,threadys,jews, anything river and bay. Dont need alot of winching power but would be good to have some incase of a big one.Casting distace not a hole lot would be fishing from boat so just the usal distance ect.Manly used for saltwater but on the odd time heading to somerset ect.

cheers sean

shimano citica:
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=5818

shimano cruxis:
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=401

abu revo:
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=2256

ive tried to stay under 250

these reels should suit your purpose, retrieve ratios are a fairly balanced 6.3 and will hold plenty of line and have the guts for the bigger fish you mentioned.

if i were choosing i'd get a citica, plenty of bang for buck and quality shimano features like HEG for a bit more winching power if you need to skull something out

have a look at em anyway make sure you play before you buy anything

Thanks very very much mate that helps heaps i was at bcf today and seen an shamano citica i think for 217 or 227 somthin like that so i will go have a play what size braid should i have and any brands that you guys really like?Also whats the go with the 200E and the 200D whats the diffrence between the 2.

cheers sean

for my curado i have it spooled with 20lb tuffline, which i may spool onto my incoming calais 200dc. may also go 20lb powerpro, havent really decided yet, but 20lb braid is a good place to start for squire around 50-60cm in the river and threadies/jew etc. i have used my curado with 20lb tuffline on b.r snapper, cod, jew and threadies mainly, and jacks (or rather trying to find jacks lol)

the citica 200d is the older model, there doesnt seem to be much different in terms of internals but the 200e is 2oz lighter and a revised shape. up to you which is more comfy i guess

burger93 wrote:

Mate theres a 200E on ebay for $100 bucks no bids 1 day to go they rekon its been used 2 times looks alright doesnt say wat year it was made tho.Thanks for all ya info mate.

cheers sean

mate if your into the net shopping i just got a curado 301e for $260 delivered and my son has bought a curado 201e (the 1 represents left hand) for around $190. for example the 301e was priced at $479 on motackle (oz) so i took a look at lildofishy (usa..look at the overseas section on ebay) and got a great deal. good reels and the 201 would do for you unless your like me and like lots of line on ya reel. there's no price difference between left and right handed reels btw :)

check out tacklewarehouse.com

the abu premier old model would be about your $200 budget. it was there a week or two back, should be still. the sales section on the left hand side, don't click the clearance stuff.

for the rod, probably something around 4-8kg i would say. maybe a 6-10 and then spool up your line based on the rod. you can get powerpro braid, 300 yards, cheaper on ebay from the usa than 150 yards will cost you here. just got some myself and it seems a bit flat, but not too bad. yet to test it out on the water.

With the dollar the way it is you will get more bang for your buck overseas. Japanese E-tailers and E-bayers seem to be really good to deal with. I just got an Alphas-R and the whole procedure was hassle free.

Right now you can get a Daiwa Aggrest for $195 plus $18 dollars shipping on JapanProFishing. Pretty good deal for a 9bb real. Down side is no warranty, so you have to weigh that against the savings.

Archived