huge shark attacks another shark off straddie

jeff f

thats an awsome pic . so the great whites are coming in closer then the nets.I wonder if it is curiosity as there was a surfing comp on the beach the day before or was it chasing up a feed. I believe selective eradication by a shark hunter is the answer. I recon set shark lines are more damaging to the enviroment. not saying all sharks great and small should be killed only a shark that poses a threat should be singled out and a ridgy didge shark hunter is able to kull the sharks that stalk our beaches.

It is a shrilling thought knowing that there is a 5m+ great white lurking out the back quite close to stradies beaches.

caught a tuna inside tangalooma years ago that was around the size of that shark..it got bitten in half during the fight (45 mins) to land it. tuna was still alive when i pulled it from the water..bit of a struggle due to the weight of the half that was left..it pumped blood all over me and the boat had no option than to chuck it over..definately a shark and not an orca on that killed it. there's some big brutes out there..mind ya toes if ya dipping em..lol

sorry to be the greeny in the pack but i have seen a couple of scientific studies that prove taking the top of the food chain predators out of an enviroment does way more damage than taking food species such as prawns,pillies,whitebait,etc,it allows less discriminating species to multiply to a point that they totally wipe out the food sources from an area,eg; for the last 2 or 3 years the leather jackets have been in plague proportions off the clarence and coffs coast causing havoc with both rec and pro fisho's and totally scouring entire reefs of just about everything,now i am not sure if they are there because a predator has been taken out of the area or not it is just an example of what an unchecked species can do to an enviroment.

i have to agree with Vic on this one,they have been useing an electro magnetic device of some sort to scare them away in South Africa with success,why not try that here ?

yoyo wrote:

a 3m long tuna ?

had to go close..when we hooked it it took a while to bring alongside the boat. we were in a 5.8 cruise craft and it seemed to be at least half the length of the boat long. before i saw it boatside i called to marty to get the gaff. when the fish surfaced at the side of the boat we were gob smacked..marty looked at me with the metre long gaff and said 'where the f..dya gaff that'..it made the gaff look very inadequte. it took off..funnily it dived striaght down which is weird for tuna (ones i've caught). the line took a bump..went limp then i had a dead wieght to pull up. i still had over a metre of fish in my hands. i couldn't get one arm around it's girth..it was a big fish. there was a chunk taken out behind it's head that was a huge bite mark. biggest thing i've ever caught..all true..no tape or pics to prove it.. but it's a true story. here's the stats on southern bluefin.

Southern Bluefin (Thunnus maccoyii)

The Southern bluefin tuna, like the Atlantic bluefin tuna, is a fast, streamlined species. The Southern bluefin is found throughout the oceans in the Southern Hemisphere, in latitudes roughly from 30-50 degrees south. This fish can reach lengths up to 14 feet and weights up to 2,000 pounds. Like other bluefin, this species has been heavily overfished.

yoyo wrote:

I'm no Vic Hislop, but seeing that disabling bite on the dorsal fin and the size of the bite out of the ventral cavity, I call it for an Orca, not a great white....

I don't know what an orca bite looks like, but I can't imagine it would be that clean with those peg teeth they have.

I have seen sharks in the bay that make my 3.5mt tinny look like a bait fish

There are some absolute monsters out there but the smaller bulls scare me more than any others

Makes me remember how they tore that poor girl at amity point a couple of years back like a pack of dogs!

I strongley believe in fish conservation but threadfin salmon don't eat people

So if there's a problem shark out there I hope they catch it before it kills someone this summer.

MOC wrote:

I find it a bit hypocritical of the state govt to impose a size and possession limit on sharks for recreational fisherman when they have these netting and baiting systems still in place.

Mick

lol yeah, also that old p.g has instant issue with charter operators on the coral sea but no problem with the states death trapping of sharks

personally, i think south africa did the right thing removing their nets in place of aerial surveillance etc

why is it a problem shark ? it took a feed of opportunity out of one of it's own....

It hasnt attacked anyone, just because it's (allegedly) massive, doesnt automatically means it will attack humans!

What it does mean though is that it is quite an old, no doubt very canny individual, most likely a female bolstering the stock of an already endangered Apex predator.

If you remove the apex predators, the whole ecology turns to shit......

yoyo wrote:

why is it a problem shark ? it took a feed of opportunity out of one of it's own....

It hasnt attacked anyone, just because it's (allegedly) massive, doesnt automatically means it will attack humans!

What it does mean though is that it is quite an old, no doubt very canny individual, most likely a female bolstering the stock of an already endangered Apex predator.

If you remove the apex predators, the whole ecology turns to ****......

I don't beleive anyone has said it was a problem shark?

But in the report it was mentioned that sharks were coming close to surfers on nth sraddie.

Media hype

there have always been massive great whites out there, though SBT's.... would be a first for anyone in qld. and anyone who chased that shark or similar great white is breaking the law as they are an endangered species. the perceived threat of them bends that law though!

shark nets don't stop the ones that swim under the nets, bull sharks are responsible for the majority of attacks on humans and they are already in most of our rivers.

i remember footage from when the bait schools came in and three sharks around 2-3m long swam right next to two surfers sitting on their boards waiting for a wave, the sharks didn't even care. on bondi rescue, a surfer scared a shark away!

a few years back i was scuba diving on the GBR with friends, while wearing my fishing shirt that was stupidly covered with pilchard and squid, saw a six foot bronzey and a three foot white tip cruise past to check us out. when we got back on the boat later, i asked my dive buddies if they saw the six footer. they said yeah, did you see the 12 footer?... fortunately i had not.

my point being, you are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more likely to be glassed by some random ... at the pub, than have a shark put you on it's menu. yeeeeeeears ago when dad took us to straddie as a family, they had pics up at the seafood places of large sharks and half sharks on the drum lines. even Vic Hislop, the only good shark is a dead shark proponent, wants nets banned...

HookedOnTackle wrote:

Media hype

there have always been massive great whites out there, though SBT's.... would be a first for anyone in qld. and anyone who chased that shark or similar great white is breaking the law as they are an endangered species. the perceived threat of them bends that law though!

shark nets don't stop the ones that swim under the nets, bull sharks are responsible for the majority of attacks on humans and they are already in most of our rivers.

i remember footage from when the bait schools came in and three sharks around 2-3m long swam right next to two surfers sitting on their boards waiting for a wave, the sharks didn't even care. on bondi rescue, a surfer scared a shark away!

a few years back i was scuba diving on the GBR with friends, while wearing my fishing shirt that was stupidly covered with pilchard and squid, saw a six foot bronzey and a three foot white tip cruise past to check us out. when we got back on the boat later, i asked my dive buddies if they saw the six footer. they said yeah, did you see the 12 footer?... fortunately i had not.

my point being, you are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more likely to be glassed by some random ... at the pub, than have a shark put you on it's menu. yeeeeeeears ago when dad took us to straddie as a family, they had pics up at the seafood places of large sharks and half sharks on the drum lines. even Vic Hislop, the only good shark is a dead shark proponent, wants nets banned...

Not if you don't go to pubs, but given a choice I'd take the glassing :laugh:

When I was with the coast guard at Scarborough the boys used to talk about a big great white that hung around the south tip of moreton where the old whaling station was.

Story was the shark had got pretty big from all the dugons and turtles in the protected area down there.

I was shown a picture that was taken from a flybridge looking down onto a 5.25m Quintrex with a shark as big swimming next to the boat.

The picture was real but I cant guarantee the location however it looked like the side rails of RLII.

Si

Si where is RLII? Also i think that the Great White is one of the most fascinating creatures. I have watched hundreds of documents on them and they are not a creature that attacks humans because we are human. They usually only attack if they feel threatened by you which is why so many divers don't get attacked on the GBR..

I agree that the lines and nets should be taken off and going by the research from the eloctro repellants off the coast of South Africa this is what we should introduce..

Just my two cents worth.

Nathan

RLII to was our rescue boat (Redcliffe Leagues II) totally agree witht he electronic shark repelent, they appear to work so far.

I would like to see them tested on a beach in say SA first before we introduce them up here.

The GBR is pretty safe as its too warm for some of the bigger "Man Eaters" .

We dont know enough about them as a species yet and we are learning too slowley.

The Shark itself is evolving in its own hunting patterns as fast as we are studying them.

Unfortunately I think we will see an increased number of shark attacks over the next year.

The important thing to remember is they are predatorial and at any time you look considerably vunerable to them you will become on the menu. (without the potatoes).

Whether or not they finish you of because you dont taste as good as a seal is not the point.

Anyone who has tried to stop major arterial bleeding will agree it is not much fun and gets quite messy and is even harder on a beach.

We need to educate people about the normal feeding patterns like dont swim in the morning and dont swim at night.

I can assure you the local councils wont even consider the cost of the electrical device untill someone gets attacked at the gold coast or sunny coast.

The other side of the coins is reliability, how do you know when it has stopped working?

Hot in of the press, they wont consider it

Shark control program to stay

The Queensland Government remains committed to the shark control program despite calls for an end to the shark nets that protect Queensland beaches.

Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin said a recent incident re-enforced that there are still dangerous sharks off the Queensland coast and still a need for the shark control program.

Mr Mulherin said: "A 3 metre plus white pointer was killed on a drum line off Stradbroke Island last week.

"When the contractor pulled in the dead shark he was alarmed by what he saw.

"Massive bite marks, with a radius of 50 cm, had carved off huge chunks of flesh.

"These bite marks had the distinctive triangular shape that indicated it must have been another white pointer.

"The experts believe it would have taken a white pointer at least 5 metres long to cause this kind of damage.

"When I saw these pictures it re-enforced to me that we ha ve a shark control program for a reason and that is to protect beach goers.

"People have forgotten why Queensland, New South Wales, and South Africa introduced nets in the first place.

"During one horrific period in South Africa in the late 1950s 5 people were killed in three and a half months.

"Holiday makers were panic stricken and the South African navy even dropped depth charges to try and kill sharks.

"Between 1958 and 1961 Queensland had 5 fatal shark attacks.

"The shark control program was introduced in 1962 and in the 47 years since then there has only been one fatal attack on a protected beach.

"I think those results speak for themselves.

"Some critics say we should remove nets during whale migration season - but in Queensland people swim all year round.

"The current peak migration season covers the September school holidays in Queensland and also the start of the surf lifesaving season - both of wh ich increase beach visitations.

"Also, with whale numbers increasing it's likely the migration season will continue to extend and eventually could stretch over 10 months.

"Some critics say we should replace nets with drum lines but drum lines are not as effective against bull sharks which are very dangerous because they are so aggressive.

"Our whale rescue teams are very efficient at releasing trapped whales.

"In the last 9 years there have been 28 whales trapped and 25 have been successfully released.

"So far this year all 5 trapped whales have been set free.

"But let me make it perfectly clear to everyone - I am not prepared to endanger human lives by removing shark nets," Mr Mulherin said.

Whether the shark was 5m or not, mark out 50 cm on your desk and picture how big those jaws would be opened up wide! Pretty unreal piccy. I always say human life before animal life, but as far as shark nets go I don't think they are effective and the collateral is huge. If you are in the water, there will be sharks in there. To all the media sensationalists who get over excited everytime some fool sees a shark in the water, build a bridge...

Archived