huge shark attacks another shark off straddie

jeff f

Between 1958 and 1961 Queensland had 5 fatal shark attacks.

"The shark control program was introduced in 1962 and in the 47 years since then there has only been one fatal attack on a protected beach.

Interesting facts if they are true. Numbers speak for themselves, and nets and drum lines should be here to stay so people can swim with a greater degree of safety.

kreel wrote:

On a less serious note - don't you love how a shark bite looks exactly like it is from a comic book - the perfect semi-circle. Not at all like a croc, lion, or many other animal bites - where they shred the meat.

:laugh: :laugh:

I'll remember to pack my geometry equipment if I ever go yakking at North Straddie.

I wonder if a big shark would get a semi-circle having a crack at a kayak.. :S :blink::blink:

Mulherin is both right and wrong. Is there a need to protect humans from sharks? Clearly there is - so I agree with him on this.

Are the current methods effective? Given the numbers quoted; yes.

But what that article reeks of is lazy leadership and penny pinching. One would assume that electronic barriers would be far more efficient and environmentally sound than the current set up, but unfortunately these things cost money. Basically Mulherin is trading off whales, turtles and sharks for $$$. At least that's how I see it.

Scary. That's the best protection scare the people out of the water. I think long lines draw sharks in nets are not that effective I used to live in mackay and would regurally see sharks inside the nets. The stinger cages are the best never seen anyone eaten inside of one of those but a tad ugly. And that shark attack at amity was a result of stupidity feel sorry for the family but you have to draw the line if you go in the water in low light with baitfish with shark sightings that's not a problem skark that's a troubled person.

I would have thought baiting sharks for protection would attract more closer to the beach as when is caught it send out distress signals attracting more sharks closer to the beach.

I think the nets are a waste of time and do more harm than good.

A three year period to take stats from is a joke there is to many variables.

I know it happens but if sharks really wanted to eat people no body would go in the water

bootyinblue wrote:

Between 1958 and 1961 Queensland had 5 fatal shark attacks.

"The shark control program was introduced in 1962 and in the 47 years since then there has only been one fatal attack on a protected beach.

Interesting facts if they are true. Numbers speak for themselves, and nets and drum lines should be here to stay so people can swim with a greater degree of safety.

Those stats are interesting, but well worded as well. They say 5 fatal attacks in Queensland. That's a big area! Then there has only been one fatal attack in 47 years on a protected beach. That's a pretty tiny area.

Coupled with better education on shark habits and feeding times in recent years, those statistics can't really give a reliable account of the success of shark control methods.

What, don't you think sharks are cuddly enough to attract the greenies attention shortie ;) just big toothie sea kittens really.....

I think that if the Greenies are serious about saving the sharks they should jump in and release them from the nets, just like they do for the whales! Its only fair!

even though i know there out there i have never seen a great white at straddie. but i have seen a few hammer head sharks come very close to the shore line. i snorkel along the rocks every year at straddie and have never had a problem. but the older i get, and the more reports i here, sharks i see, i am starting to lose my courage.

it's sort of the unknown. you know there out there, it really as people say, your more likely to get involved in an accident than a shark attack, but am i ready to be the unlucky bugger to become a statistic (even if it is a rather small statistic)

well hopefully i'll forget about this forum when i hit straddie this week and will have the courage to do some snorkelling. it is such an amazing feeling when the dolphins get that close to you, you could hug them. (i don't hug them though. wouldn't want to touch them in case i did something wrong and hurt them)

shortie wrote:

oh oh oh lets save the sharks lets save the shark.

Pick a better cause fellas there are more iportant band wagons to jump on.

and one by one, the only animals left are humans, ants and cockroaches.

lets also throw in some more stats, the advances in medical research, training and the much faster times for medical aid and hospitalisation maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay just change weigh in. but lets take the lead of today tonight and not worry with fiddly details and facts, or pull on heartstrings like the luckiest child in the world... what research did they do to call it the luckiest in the world?

my point being, and this is scientifically proven, fear is irrational. now there is a "monster" terrorising our beaches yet no one has seen it. for as long as people have been taking records off qld, there have been sharks that big. at bondi, tiger alley is called due to the numbers of tiger sharks pulled in at the beach. news is no longer the news, it is ratings and money earning programs. the more people that watch, the more money. people watch sensationalist stories. shouldn't we be more worried that a very rich man splices some dinosaur dna with amphibians?

i quote Bill Hicks, "Watch 'Headline News' for an hour. It's the most depressing thing you'll ever do: war, famine, death, AIDS, homeless, depression, recession, drought, flood, pit bull, war, famine, death, AIDS. Then you look out your window, and it's like, where's all this stuff happening? Ted Turner's making this stuff up, man. Jane Fonda won't sleep with him, he runs to a typewriter -- 'By 1995, we will all die of AIDS. Read that on the air. I don't get any, no one gets any.'

HookedOnTackle wrote:

Nope, ants and cockroaches aren't cuddly, the greenies are not trying to get them saved.....

More like Koala's, Roo's, Whales (must have big arms to cuddle them) harp seals, there will be plenty of those left, coz the greenies want them protected. To bad for the not so cuddly things like ants, lizards, insects, bees etc. (If the worlds bee population continues to decline, trust me carbon trading wont be a problem, neither will shark numbers!)

But I get the gist of where you are going, managed resources is what we need, both to sustain our prey species (what we eat and use) and just so we dont kill off things we dont mean to kill off.

HookedOnTackle wrote:

shortie wrote:
oh oh oh lets save the sharks lets save the shark.

Pick a better cause fellas there are more iportant band wagons to jump on.

lets also throw in some more stats, the advances in medical research, training and the much faster times for medical aid and hospitalisation maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay just change weigh in. but lets take the lead of today tonight and not worry with fiddly details and facts, or pull on heartstrings like the luckiest child in the world... what research did they do to call it the luckiest in the world?

my point being, and this is scientifically proven, fear is irrational. now there is a "monster" terrorising our beaches yet no one has seen it. for as long as people have been taking records off qld, there have been sharks that big. at bondi, tiger alley is called due to the numbers of tiger sharks pulled in at the beach. news is no longer the news, it is ratings and money earning programs. the more people that watch, the more money. people watch sensationalist stories. shouldn't we be more worried that a very rich man splices some dinosaur dna with amphibians?

i quote Bill Hicks, "Watch 'Headline News' for an hour. It's the most depressing thing you'll ever do: war, famine, death, AIDS, homeless, depression, recession, drought, flood, pit bull, war, famine, death, AIDS. Then you look out your window, and it's like, where's all this stuff happening? Ted Turner's making this stuff up, man. Jane Fonda won't sleep with him, he runs to a typewriter -- 'By 1995, we will all die of AIDS. Read that on the air. I don't get any, no one gets any.'

You'll get no argument from me on the media....I think adjectives should be outlawed from news reports.

"

and one by one, the only animals left are humans, ants and cockroaches
"

That line though is just as bad imo.

lel wrote:

even though i know there out .....

it's sort of the unknown. you know there out there, it really as people say, your more likely to get involved in an accident than a shark attack, but am i ready to be the unlucky bugger to become a statistic (even if it is a rather small statistic)

well hopefully i'll forget about this forum when i hit straddie this week and will have the courage to do some snorkelling. it is such an amazing feeling when the dolphins get that close to you, you could hug them. (i don't hug them though. wouldn't want to touch them in case i did something wrong and hurt them)

I'm sure that's only because a million people don't swim to work :dry:

I'm sure you can touch the dolphins - thay are a tough creature and no doubt deal with much harsher realities everyday than you giving one a poke with your pinky LOL

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

i hate the news .never watch it .or read the paper .

news i get from word of mouth .then i look it up to see if they where bull shitting me or not.

then i only see what i want and non of the bad stuff .

in my little world nothing ever happens .:)

accept mower hammer throws :laugh:

i was up at burrum heads in my kayak on thursday .though about paddling out a couple of kilometers until i am sure i saw that monster patroling the mouth about a half a kilometer away. i am sure i heard the jaws music and decided to head back up the river very quietly. :

ellicat wrote:

Not if you don't go to pubs, but given a choice I'd take the glassing :laugh:

I agree, been bitten by various animals, and glassed by a random at the pub, from experience, I would definitely prefer the glassing.

On a side note, I wonder how long Terry is going to be soaking stingrays off the beach on Moreton this week :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived