Castnetting wakeboarders

elops

Went out on the middle/upper reaches of the river early this morning.

Was hoping to tag some small threadies for brad only caught 1 catfish nice one though about 60cm. Finished up throwing the net for a prawn barbie for lunch when they appeared, my least favorite river inhabitant the wakeboarder. What is it with these clowns they see you fishing/castnetting and they have to come as close as they can and try some manouver they cant do, fall off and make a lot of waves and noise. The more persistant ones will come back and try again. I use a full sized drawstring net so I thought I would try to catch one. The first attempt a week ago the leadline hit him in the head and after some conversation they left. This morning I drove over on the bowmount and got a perfect throw but he some how got out and I only got the wakeboard.

After some fairly animated conversation I returned the wakeboard and they left. Maybe next time I will get one .

Regs Steve

ps they are alot easier to get a shot at than jetskies never even got close to getting one.

kriso wrote:

mmm annoying yes , throwing cast nets at people stupid.

Yes mate I agree it is a bit stupid .

But (and you may consider this no justification and I will accept that)

It is pretty stupid to drive one of these boats which are desinged to make a wave of 50cm to 90cm within 10 0r 20 meters of someone standing on the deck of their boat or worse in a kayak, and illegal.

To repeatedly do this is ridiculously stupid.

As a general thing they also seem to have no concept of the rules of navigation quite frightening to come around a corner and have one of these heading straight at you towing two boards with the ropes at head height.

Regs Steve

Nothing that a slingshot and ball sinkers wouldn't fix.

Really though,in every aspect of life we deal with people who will piss us off at some stage and it's how we react which can make or break us.If you maime these people then it's you who will get punished by the law even though it seems ludicrous to you.Yell abuse then take the rego details and submit a complaint.Keep a diary of this and if this same boat was to cause you grief again,you have documentation of their misdemeanours and they would be more inclined to act if faced with proof.Either that or have a waterproof video camera mounted on a bit of PVC in your rod holder so that you have evidence of what they are doing.Either way probably not the best approach to settle your grievances with them.

Hulk

hulk wrote:

Nothing that a slingshot and ball sinkers wouldn't fix.

Really though,in every aspect of life we deal with people who will piss us off at some stage and it's how we react which can make or break us.If you maime these people then it's you who will get punished by the law even though it seems ludicrous to you.Yell abuse then take the rego details and submit a complaint.Keep a diary of this and if this same boat was to cause you grief again,you have documentation of their misdemeanours and they would be more inclined to act if faced with proof.Either that or have a waterproof video camera mounted on a bit of PVC in your rod holder so that you have evidence of what they are doing.Either way probably not the best approach to settle your grievances with them.

Hulk

totally agree. it does really shit me when knobs carry on like this in wake boats and at times i would love to wrap a ski rope round the drivers neck throw him over board and put boat in full throttle but alas losing my freedom cash and everything i have worked for comes into mind and i cool my jets with showing them with a hand signal there IQ level and a few four letter words. though we usualy have cameras on us if they have really caused you grief and possible harm pull one out and make a complaint, even if the police just make a phone call it may make the idiot think twice about how he has his fun in the water.

If going to a spot where wankboarders or ski lice with bad etiquette sometimes turn up,I have adopted the habit of taking an old rod and reel with a 6 or 8 ball sinker attached, in the boat.I find if they turn up with bad manners,if i stand up,so it`s obvious for all to see my casting style,a well timed cast about 50 meters out in front of the boat or ski usually reminds them that giving personal space on the water is nice boating etiquette.

I have only had to resort to that behavior about 5 times over the years,hand signals usually get the message across

Only had one challenge me,I asked him to write my boats details down and report me,

that was 2 years ago,haven`t had a knock on the door about it yet.

Little Grey Men wrote:

If you do net one Steve be careful bringing it aboard. They'll flop around your deck calling you "Dude" and drinking cans of redbull, trying to high five you and generally making a hell of a mess....best off knocking them on the head pretty quickly I'd say, for the betterment of society at least. ;)

hahaha

Little Grey Men wrote:

If you do net one Steve be careful bringing it aboard. They'll flop around your deck calling you "Dude" and drinking cans of redbull, trying to high five you and generally making a hell of a mess....best off knocking them on the head pretty quickly I'd say, for the betterment of society at least. ;)

I would catch and release Micheal they would not fit in the esky.

Feral wrote:

Well Steve, all I can say is, make your your NOT using the wrist strap!

Or the next post will be someone complaining about about a scrawny looking santa clause bare foot watersking to close to their boat!

I know I am a bit crazy but not that crazy. The last one was just floating there stunned after attemting a manouver which is best described as a backward face plant with neck twist and not attached to the rope.

:laugh: I actually did laugh out loud at this and even read it out to teh Mrs.

It's one bloody expensive catch though. And I'm guessing the meat wouldn't be too nice considering the ammount of S*** they're full of.

Anyways... thanks for the laugh mate. :ta:

Boys I don't mind a bit of wakeboarding on the side.... The water is for everyone to enjoy. However any wakeboarder within castnetting range is clearly inside the legal boundaries anyways so obviously they're in the wrong. Probably don't have a boat license or sliver of common sense between them. But let's not just pidgeonhole an entire sport because of a couple of tossers. Believe it or not I've seen fishos doing alot of stupid things too.....

i do a bit of skurfing from time to time, but as a keen fisherman i know what it's like when you get the idiots, some people have no idea and jet skier's are just as bad.

but anyway, i had a good laugh reading your story and some of the comments :laugh: :laugh:

HookedOnTackle wrote:

i have yet to get my boat licence, or a boat, but to those who have, what is the legal speed limit and the distance from an anchored/moored boat?

speed limit on general waterways is 40 knots. i can guarantee you if they are towing a wakeboarder there is no way they are doing 40 knots. as long as they are more than 30 metres away from an anchored boat they are quite within the law to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

by the sounds of it, you were castnetting, neither anchored or moored based on the fact you said "i drove over on the bowmount" so they haven't actually done anything illegal even if they were less than 30m away from your unanchored boat. inconsiderate yes, illegal no. throwing something with about 5-8kg of lead at a person's head could definitely qualify as illegal, as could throwing a ball sinker at a moving boat/skiier. seriously, if they were skiing along and copped that in the head it could well kill them considering the combined velocities etc. not to mention the damage it could do to the boat driver, passenger or the boat itself.

be the bigger man, tell them off, call them any name under the sun and move somewhere else. a feed of prawns isn't worth the hassle.

my 2c worth...

pretty sure he didnt throw it at them while they were skiing at all, that'd take some serious aim

mightnt be the wisest choice of actions but surely from steves post it was not done in an unsafe way and pretty good for a laugh imo, no need to take it too seriously and maybe the inconsiderate individual in question (as you said, the legal status of an action doesnt make it right or wrong) has learned a thing or two

i'd say he is still driving his boat iligally if he comes that close to another boat while travelling at speed to get so close that steve is in casting distance. operating a vessel dangerously at speed while approaching another vessel that is not changing his course would be what i'd call illegal

mark

Archived