The Jacks

lethalsaints

I work away from home and only get couple days a month when i get back to brisbane! Been given a couple of spots to hit jacks in nerang river any suggestions on bait, leader, line etc.....

I was told use fresh mullet fillet, put on gang hook and leave last hook exposed (not in bait) anyone heard of this??? any suggestions please? I have a boat so any suggestions can be utilised thanks guys..........

lethalsaints wrote:

I work away from home and only get couple days a month when i get back to brisbane! Been given a couple of spots to hit jacks in nerang river any suggestions on bait, leader, line etc.....

I was told use fresh mullet fillet, put on gang hook and leave last hook exposed (not in bait) anyone heard of this??? any suggestions please? I have a boat so any suggestions can be utilised thanks guys..........

yep mullet works but i'd use a smaller hook to hold the bait and one lower down for the hook up 9you'll get em on the top hook too). the best results i get is using a live mullet hooked through the nose with a stinger (small treble) hooked near it's vent..in it actually. jacks seem to hit the gut cavity when they make their move.

I use 20lb braid and about 1.5 m of vanish 40lb flourocarbon leader. At the business end I usa a mustard chemically sharpened suicide hook with a running sinker attached to the leader this helps the live bait anchor close to the desired structure your fishing. The size sinker is determined by the tidal flow or lack there of.General rule in this case is fish as lighter sinker as possible. Pin the live bait just behind the dorsal fin.

Fishing in the estuarys up north a mate and I use to experiment with bait selection one of us would use live mullet or herring and one would use strip mullet and more often than not the strip mullet would get the jacks. The trouble with that method was limiting your fish species as fingermark and barra preffered live stuff and the strip bait attracted more pickers but it was deadly on jacks.

The rig I use for strip bait is just same as for live bait.I personally dont like the servo mullet its turns mushy to easy from being frozen and the pickers will easily rob it.

I like to get fillets of a fresh mullet about 30-40 cms long and whip the fillets of each side and cut them into strips 2.5 to 3 cms wide 6cms long leaving the skin on then I salt them on a newspaper and leave in the sun for about 15 min then I put them in a container with a bit of salt and into the fridge the day before I go for a fish. This is a bit of prep work but it will make the bait much more harder to get of the hook whilst staying fresh. Push the hook through the flesh at the top and then through the skin on the other side back through the skin and leaving the point of the hook exposed through the flesh leave a few cms of fillet as a tail which can waft around in the current.

There are many rigs for jacks and this is only one mans method and Im sure there are plenty of other good set ups. Hope this helps.

lethalsaints wrote:

So two hooks one through the nose and one through the vent?? what weight leader would you use??? Thanks for the reply btw.... not easy to get one most of time...

i use 30-40 lb leaders. you could probably go higher if you need to coz of structure but i doubt it'll put the jacks off. they have a bad temper and smash things for just being there not always to eat em..you'll find that out chasing em..so expect to miss a few. good luck.. :)

if your going to buy vanish fluorocarbon (the only one for me lol)as a leader buy it at BIG W..it's a lot cheaper. gamakatsu hooks are the best hooks for me..they don't straighten out. whatever you do do not use mustad penetrator hooks. they're too thin and straighten out or snap. you can't go wrong with jakhunta advice. we used to pin our fish like that from a jetty..but still had the stinger in the vent..you can use a treble or a single hook. we'd use a swivel between main line and leader..the sinker above the swivel on the mainline. i found a leader a metre or less (not much) gave me better hook up rate. :)

have been putting a bit of effort in myself recently, done 3 jack trips so far (two overly optimistic middle of the day DONUTS!) and one midnight exploratory session at some new ground, between 3 we had 3 hits, two absolute smokings and one 40cm odd model dropped bankside :(.

hit them just before that storm last night, during the bite period they hit the lures hard and furious, cant wait to get back and go for round 2.

my favourite part about jack fishing is the tasty bycatch by way of the cod

Jaymz711 wrote:

Gosh I wish they were worth trying landbased.. :dry: Fanstastic looking fish! :)

they are mate..the ones i caught (pictured) were from horizon shores marina. they'll be in most marinas/harbours if you can get to fish in em without getting thrown out. alternatively try around bridges..wharfs anywhere bait gathers around pylons..the good news is if there's cover it doesn't have to be a big river. got a bridge near you with a few deep holes..sangs (not edible ones lol)..or even a decent rock wall where the water slows a bit? give it a try.. :)

Tiny Tin wrote:

Jaymz711 wrote:
Gosh I wish they were worth trying landbased.. :dry: Fanstastic looking fish! :)

they are mate..the ones i caught (pictured) were from horizon shores marina. they'll be in most marinas/harbours if you can get to fish in em without getting thrown out. alternatively try around bridges..wharfs anywhere bait gathers around pylons..the good news is if there's cover it doesn't have to be a big river. got a bridge near you with a few deep holes..sangs (not edible ones lol)..or even a decent rock wall where the water slows a bit? give it a try.. :)

Cheers for the tips mate hey.. most of my fishing is done at shorncliffe so not too many options around there I dont think. I did get smoked one afternoon under the pilons at baxters jetty but that could have just been a stonger bream. Next time I'm at the goldy I'll be sure to hit the canals! (I dont drive yet so my options are extremely limited) :)

scarborough would be pretty close to you..maybe there's a jack or two around there? i got smoked by a jack at the mouth of the canal into birkdales paradise point (think that's it's name) they sometimes hang out at the mouth if there's a rock wall. the seaway is another spot to try for jacks. at night and before a storm is best..turn of the tide.

lethalsaints wrote:

Some great pictures and catches by the look of it. Im watering at the mouth (hanging out for the weekend) for Jacks. You think this rain yesterday will effect my weekend at all (i know its good for the muddies..)

Mate they reckon on the news we got some very decent rain but the dry ground soaked it all up before any decent amount could go into the rivers/creeks.

So I dont think it should affect the fishing too much.

aqautic paradise in birkdaleTiny Tin wrote:

scarborough would be pretty close to you..maybe there's a jack or two around there? i got smoked by a jack at the mouth of the canal into birkdales paradise point (think that's it's name) they sometimes hang out at the mouth if there's a rock wall. the seaway is another spot to try for jacks. at night and before a storm is best..turn of the tide.

guys just got back from a piss up in town.. before the storm yesturday my mate hit 2 legal jacks and a 40cm estuary cod in one hour in snags on smallish'' live mullett with like 8 lb leader and small bream hooks.. hooked em in the mouth lucky prick. these are his first of the two species.. super keen to hit em tomorrow night!

tugger wrote:

aqautic paradise in birkdaleTiny Tin wrote:

thanks tugger..i knew it had something to do with paradise.. :)

this jack was caught off moreton island about 25yrs ago near flinders reef it went over 21kilo on a handline . i used to stay with these guys at the shacks near lighthouse before they were bulldosed . sorry about the picture qaulity there was no digital back then

mark IMG_0010-20091028.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived