home fish tank for live bait?

zan0_15

hey everyone...will start by saying well done ford on the gold coast this weekend :P back to fish related issues...i have often thought about setting up a tank at home for the sole purpose of keeeping live bait in it so they are readily available for a trip...just wondering if any one has tried this at all....my way of doing it would b to set up a tank then do a bait session to fill it every month or so....would the bait survive or die of stress? also is it ilegal to catch bait fish then put them in a tank? any feedback welcome :) cheers blokes

Cowfish13 wrote:

Well, you would need to have a good set-up for them to last for any amount of time, especially for a saltwater set-up, but it would work. But good luck trying to put a hook through one of your new friends when you want to use them as bait

easy come easy go!

If you've only got them for a few days, it may not matter, but I've kept mullet for up to 4 months or so (sadly something happened and the mullet in my tank died :( , but all other fish were fine) and after watching them feed, and sift through the gravel, I could never put a hook into one :D

But you can definately keep them alive for a pretty long time. Get a decent sized tank (maybe 50-70L) with a good aerator-filter, and they'll last a long time. I can't see why it wouldn't be legal, as long as you don't take any under sized fish (Sea Mullet need to be 30cm)

zan0_15 wrote:

hey everyone...will start by saying well done ford on the gold coast this weekend

Who's Ford and what did he catch?

DOne it for quite a while for shrimp and salt water yabbies. As long as you dont feed them its not to hard to keep them for up to a month (particularly shrimp). I've seen mullet kept alive for over a week in a yabbie tank, so shouldn't be hard.

Just need to be sure you dont overcrowd.

Feral wrote:

zan0_15 wrote:
hey everyone...will start by saying well done ford on the gold coast this weekend

Who's Ford and what did he catch?

DOne it for quite a while for shrimp and salt water yabbies. As long as you dont feed them its not to hard to keep them for up to a month (particularly shrimp). I've seen mullet kept alive for over a week in a yabbie tank, so shouldn't be hard.

Just need to be sure you dont overcrowd.

Ah ford...apparently he caught a nice surfboard for his efforts since thursday!!! yer not to overcrowd i agree would b the biggest issue

The more water you have the longer they will last airation will help .

the main problem is food = waste products ammonia, nitrites.

regular water changes with tap water treated with neutraliser (Seachem Prime is the best )and sea salt added at 30ppt and most species will last for a long time.

Regs Steve

Archived