Sea Test & Attempted Jew Rescue

Angus

Well headed out with Johnny today to finally get our new boat in the water.

It went awesome.

Nothing at all to complain about just 2 very happy customers!

On the way back to the ramp we noticed some people on a jetty fishing and one was onto something good. He was using a pretty cheap looking out fit so whatever was on the other end was really giving some grunt.

After several minutes an approx 55cm-60cm jewy appears.

My initial thoughts were "cool well done"! In my opinion a great catch all arounf considering the location and gear etc.

However as we watched him brutally shove his fingers into its gills and begin to put the fish into his bag we though "hmmm not good".

Anyway we motored over not wanting to be rude. I am happy to give anyone the benefit of the doubt so we politely explained that the fish was a jew fish and under size. The guy and his family proceded to tell us the limit was 35cm on these fish. Anyway the conversation went back and forth for a little while and we eventually succeeded (i think taking photo's was encouragement) is convincing him to release it. Sadly the fish went belly up right away. Prob a combination of the brutal handling and prolonged time out of water.

Anyway we drove off then so im pretty sure it would have gone back in the bag.

Overall great day. Shame to see a fish die illegally but cool to see Jew there.

I hope the guy was just ignorant and has learnt a lesson for next time.

Angus

Picture: Johnny with the new AFO Navy.

. 1-20091025.jpg

post-63-144598508724_thumb.jpg

Slick looking machine there boys!

No more looking for a deckies spot at events hey Angus? I think we need to arrange an informal sunday session somewhere.

Someone has to say it, notice the ethnicity of the fisherman? It does not matter if you are white, black, green, yellow, or pink, YOU are responsible for knowing what you are doing!

well what got me the most was that they had no idea of the species (and no reference book to look it up) and had nothing at all to measure anything they caught with. And then as soon as it was caught to then without knowing the species and size of it (as well as legal size limits) assume it was fine to keep shocks me.

Thanks guys!

Tugger: Mate working every day except Sunday until mid december which makes weekend over nighters hard at the moment :(

Booty: Mate there are always times for deckie spots :P But hopefully ill be offering a few now as well.

Leighton: Yeah mate I hope so. Being a fan of Rivers, Dams and Estuaries I think its the perfect rig. Looks smaller than it is in those pictures. Nice Jack today by the way :)

Naddders: Yeah mate I am pretty sure ignorance was not the issue. But we did what we could.

Kriso: Mate it went sweeeeeet. Ill still talk to you more in the future about new wheels :)

Rocket75 wrote:

it will deff take some time for the "new" size limits to make it through to most of the occasional fishos, good on ya for helping to spread the message.

really does needs to be a big jew to be legal these days.

what are the specs of the new boat Gus?

rocket

Rocket: Mate it is 3.6m, 20 horse outboard. 50lb leccy and a 40litre live well which is nice.

Angus

Had a similar incident out at Kholo a few weeks ago where some people of Asian appearence just kept everythign they caught. Fortunately it was just banded grunter which are a pest anyway however they did keep a 2 meter eel.

It is mostly a case of them being ignorant and not being interested in the size and species. They will eat anything.

This is not being racist it is just facts from what I have seen.

sweet test trip :) sorry I couldn't make my maiden voyage with you mate.

Its a cultural mentality. There's pretty much no repercussions for keeping undersized fish for these guys and they really have no concept of sustainable fishing.

Until the fisheries/responsible bodies start showing strong presence and start heavily fining people, they'll continue to take illegal sized fish.

How hard can it be to make a few signs that show legal sizes of common fish in the area, and stick them on a sign... definately no excuses then.

Archived