charlie carp and friends

wesfish

well headed down to the local creek for a bash at the carp, did not start to well with out a fish for half an hour, i was using a float but every time the carp came up to inspect the bread they would shy off , i continued to berly with bread and thought , bugger it and took all the tackle off and just used a small hook, i then put little bits of crust on and gave it a light flick amongst the floating bits of bread. well this worked a treat , i nailed 5 quick carp up to 36cm and now know how to target them with success . its a big change of pace compared to fishing the brisbane river and bay but i enjoyed the peace and quite, plus it was fun spotting the carp and trying to flick a light piece of crust at them! :) there are some big ones there just waiting for me to nail them next time :laugh:

cheers wes 11111.jpg

post-4300-14459850872_thumb.jpg

Nice work Wes! Cool looking fella in the middle :) Almost like a normal Goldfish

HookedOnTackle wrote:

does dpi have an up to date list of rivers/creeks with carp and other pest fish listed?

can we do a fishing comp that targets the lil buggers?

I think they might have some listed, but they're spreading faster than the DPI can be bothered to update :(

Re the second question, it's a tough one. For starters, I think it is actually illegal to 'target' Carp, tillies and other noxious fish. So when AFO did a Tilly Cull at Kurwongbah, there were heaps of protocols that Angus and Shane had to go through to legally organise it. I think some guys from a Uni had to be there, and it was organised to help the new Bass fingerling survive in the Dam or something like that. Can't remember completely. So there is a bit to do to organise an official event, and Carp may be a bit harder than the Tillies in the dam, however, there is nothing stopping an unoffical event :)

there is an event every year out towards rathdowney , it is organised by carp busters! there is usually a write up in bnb or qfm , the ones i caught are from a creek that runs into the upper logan river near jimboomba! as for keeping the carp its catch 22 , the rules state you can not be in possesion of a noxious fish :huh: the best thing to do is bury them away from the waters edge!

i have a few spots out this way worth a carp cull, just no bbqs buts thousands of carp :laugh:

Archived