mackerel season

tugger

december is getting close enough to start thinking about mackerel season and dusting off the wire rigs for the toothie critters. last season we had very warm water pressing up close to the coast and even had marlin caught regularly 1 to 2km off the beach. if anyone is keen to hit the mermaid and palm beach reefs the cobia and mackerel get thick on these inshore reefs during summer. i don't mind sharing tips and tag alongs from the AFO fleet

mark

on a good day your boat will be fine and you can head out the gold coast seaway just watch the weather for low swell conditions and we hit them early morning at dawn. early this year we watched a guy in a 12 foot tinnie on his own next to us on the reef hooked up to a black marlin for about 45 minutes i wish i got on video but we caught a 10 kilo dolphin fish a few spottie mackerel and hooked 20 black marlin within a 2 week period out of my tinnie. pilchards and live slimmie mackerel was the bait that did the damage

I'm originally from mackay and use my hornet as we don'thave to cross any bars and the mackerel are relatively close to shore. What would be the best place to launch the boat to get to the close reefs in the 435 hornet? I love mackerel fishing awesome stuff.

cheers,

Hi Tugger,

Pete and I have an Southwind Offshore 770 with dual 115hp yammies and would love to take her out to give her a shot at what she was designed for. We haven't been offshore south of Noosa, so would love the opportunity to come out with our boat in flotilla to test the waters.

We are currently based at Rivergate, but can trailer to somewhere near your launch point - where do you drop her? We would have space on the boat for a couple of deckies also.

Fitz

yeah travis i camp on wave break island a fair bit right in front of the seaway chasing jew in the seaway in the arvo slip back to camp for a few ale's and hit pelagics on the reef in the early morning. when they start ti run we'll organise a trip with the AFO gang againTravis wrote:

Keen as mate should organise a sleep over out there with robbo

werewolf wrote:

tugger wrote:
a little black my son caught slid both into a large kill box with an ice slurry going and they ate well

Sheesh fair go if you already had a big fish for the esky, it's a bit rough eating your son as well.... :blink:

:P

Hahaha werewolf - that's what I was thinking :laugh:

Some very nice catches for close to shore tugger :woohoo:

tugger wrote:

a little black my son caught slid both into a large kill box with an ice slurry going and they ate well IMG_1385-20091026.JPG

bloody awesome mate!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: some great fish you guys got there , i am keen to get my first marlin this season, might have to heaad out in the tinnie for some fun ;)

ok azza and wes can't garantee the marlin will be that close in shore each season but the mackerel and cobia are. the best aprt is i use about 20liters of fuel if leaving from southport or if i jump tallebudera bar its under 10 liters. i normally sound around till i find the bait balls jig up a heap then anchor back on one of the balls but if the marlin are there it gets interesting fighting them on anchor

mark

Archived