Midnight Oil

aidanwebb

Went to dinner at Blue Smoke restaurant in New Farm on Saturday night for the best ribs you can eat in Brisbane, not to mention the hand stand in the shower super hot wings. Dinner ended pretty early so went home packed the small esky with some beers, picked up my fishing gear and my dog Bakkies and walked down to the Boat ramp.

Spent an hour trying to get some live bait and eventually picked up a single prawn and two mullet. Not the result I was hoping for but better than nothing.

So setup on the grass and baited up the prawn and cast out into the river on the slow in-coming tide. Let Bakkies off the leash so he could chase the bats and the possums and I drank my beers and waited and watched Bakkies.

Around 1am got a slow tug on the rod (I like holding the rod at all times when I fish) and suddenly my ears were picked up like Bakkies. Waited and 20 seconds later there was another long slow tug. I striked and then my line started to scream, then slowed down. I started reeling in and walking down towards the boat ramp. The fight wasn’t to fierce at this stage, but as soon as I got him close to the boat ramp he started going bezerk and swam off left then right then left again. :blink:

Managed to get him onto the boat ramp after a short 1-2 min fight. :)

Then the real challenge started, trying to get the fish onto the brag mat to measure him, take a picture and keep Bakkies from attacking it.

In the end it all worked out fine. Managed to release him back into the river to fight another day.

Result = Threadfin Salmon - 50cm caught on 20lb line, with a 30lb wire trace, a bit over kill but was out to get the 1m plus thready’s so I’m always prepared.

My first Thready :woohoo:

50cm Thready

IMG_0022.JPG

Bakkies and I walked home with big smile on our faces. IMG_0043.JPG

aidanwebb wrote:

Wire is prob overkill for any threaddie by the way, heavy leader will suffice.

Angus

Ya I thought it would be, but I did read up on some websites and they recommended wire trace for threadys. Now that I have caught one I can experiment with 20lb nylon leader etc

nice fish :)

brisbane boy ,calm down a little m8.

just cause some1 say that's a nice eating size .don't mean they do .

maybe under older rules it was a legal size and nice eating.

its just a statement .that's all.

and a bit of tact (as ray said ) wouldn't hurt ,and some politeness .

being so blunt is almost being rude .if i posted it and u replied like that i would consider it rude .

also brunt statements like that is why people stop posting or move on to other sites .

anyways nice going on your first thready aidan.

and the mrs and kid went owwwwww how cute at your dog .

another thing thread fin salmon sizes are only a new listing for 2009.

king 60 cm and 5

blue 40 cm and 10

so the size limit would also depend on that type of thready it is .

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

nice fish :)

brisbane boy ,calm down a little m8.

just cause some1 say that's a nice eating size .don't mean they do .

maybe under older rules it was a legal size and nice eating.

its just a statement .that's all.

and a bit of tact (as ray said ) wouldn't hurt ,and some politeness .

being so blunt is almost being rude .if i posted it and u replied like that i would consider it rude .

also brunt statements like that is why people stop posting or move on to other sites .

anyways nice going on your first thready aidan.

and the mrs and kid went owwwwww how cute at your dog .

another thing thread fin salmon sizes are only a new listing for 2009.

blue 60 cm and 5

king 40 cm and 10

so the size limit would also depend on that type of thready it is .

Might want to check the sizes you posted mate, its 60 for king salmon, 40 for blue.

Regulations were changed on 1st march 2009.

Prev bag limit was 10 and was reduced to 5 there was no previous size limit and 60cm was introduced. Dont know how they picked the 60cm size as I thought that one of the critera for size limit was to allow the fish to go through one breeding cycle.

Cheers

Ray

Archived