Tiny Tin's new rod custom built by me

Time_Bandit

Tiny Tin recently bought himself a 301curado and decided that he wanted to team it up with a Samurai 401, so he bought the components and let me have another crack at building the rod for him. I will post some pics in case theres anyone interested in rod building and they can see the way i do it. After finding the backbone of the rod i then tape the guides to the rod, i run some line through the guides and put a bend in the blank to see that the spacing is correct, making sure theres no places where the line touches the blank or wraps around the blank.

as im waiting for the tip to dry and cure, i set about getting the butt piece put together, cos its a 2piece rod i put a wrap around the ferrule end (where the blank slides into the butt section) this stops the rod from splitting over time. (dont think you can see it in the pic) the tape around the butt is to pack it out so the reel seat sits firmly, i applied glue to the masking tape and in between the bits of tape. rodbuildong_004_AFO_AFO.jpg

aidanwebb wrote:

how long does the process take you?

It takes me a couple of days from start to finish, wrapping the guides and putting the reel seat together arent too time consuming, i have to apply a colour preserver to the thread to stop the colour from fading, which you then have to allow 24hrs before applying expoxy resin to the guides.

rastus wrote:

Nice. One more hobby I want to take up. Tho I would never have time.

With the tape do you think it would ever rott have you considered aluminium tape??

And how much do you charge for a build

The tape under the reel seat should be ok, its pretty well sealed, its a tip i've seen ian miller and gary howard do, so i guess if they endorse it i think should do the trick, other then that i think you can buy rubber arbours that will do the same thing as the tape. Im only new to rod building myself, Tiny Tin is my dad and hes seen some of my other work which he liked so thats why im building it for him, im still learning so i probably wouldnt charge anything at the moment, other then cost of materials. obviously that will change once im fully confident :laugh:

Archived