What are these prawns?

Niels13

Hey guys, i've just been using a prawn trap around the st. lucia area and the majority of the prawns i've been getting have skinny arms that are like three times the length of their bodies with little claws on the end of them. Just wondering if anyone knows what kind of prawns these are? and what you can catch with them? and should the big arms be left on?

Cheers

Nielsy

Goodday boys. Just joined this great site last night. Would like to add to this thread. As a kid we used to catch these fresh water shrimp in the Mary River using a bike wheel frame with a hession bag sewn around making a net. In it about two thirds down we hung a bar of sunlight soap for bait. Leave it in the water for about an hour and then pull up and count how many are caught. I think the shrimp liked the fat contant of the soap. Have also used cat food and a fatty left over bone. Cook and eat the chop first just in case you don't get any bait for fishing. Cheers, may your line twan--g under tension.

rehro wrote:

Goodday boys. Just joined this great site last night. Would like to add to this thread. As a kid we used to catch these fresh water shrimp in the Mary River using a bike wheel frame with a hession bag sewn around making a net. In it about two thirds down we hung a bar of sunlight soap for bait. Leave it in the water for about an hour and then pull up and count how many are caught. I think the shrimp liked the fat contant of the soap. Have also used cat food and a fatty left over bone. Cook and eat the chop first just in case you don't get any bait for fishing. Cheers, may your line twan--g under tension.

For some reason its got to be sunlight soap tho.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

they do look dead like cherabin but as said I didn;t think they came past the gulf. I catch plenty of them in the albert, nerang and logan rivers in the net and bait traps set for mullet.

I actually got a big one about 20cm and decided to barbeque ir for the bugger of it, and it wasn't too bad.

Not bad bait, but the jew i target seem to prefer traditional prawns.

Good luck on the next outing

Archived