Carp Fish

Dibbs

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is going to start an argument or not; however is the carp really an issue in the Brisbane River? I'm not looking for an argument as this is a genuine question and I'm not informed enough to make a genuine decision.

The reason I ask is that I've not once heard of anyone catching one and yet still hear of how big a pest they are. I've been told that if I do catch one, then I'm to kill it immediately. Is this true? Or is it just media/bulls*** hype? :unsure:

Question answered... no need to keep this post. Thanks All.

From DPI website.

Noxious Fish

People must not possess noxious fish or keep, hatch, rear, sell, consign or place them in any container.

Tilapia, carp and gambusia are some of the declared species of noxious fish. Along with other noxious and non-indigenous fish, they must not be released into Queensland waters or be used as bait, either live or dead.

After they are caught, all noxious fish must immediately be killed and must not be returned to the water. Noxious fish compete with native species and could greatly reduce native fish numbers and affect their habitat.

Do a forum search on noxious fish for more info.

Cheers

Ray

From memory the only place in the Brisbane River Catchment system that they have been reported in is Oxley Creek.The law in Qld is slightly different to other states. It is illegal to target noxious fish in Qld. The thinking behind this is to disencourage people fishing for them. If people fish for them for either sport or for the table they may then be tempted to translocate them to a waterway closer to where they live and infest other waterways.

This happened with a tilapia infestation up near Bundaberg recently. As it was a new outbreak in a relatively small area the DPI were able to eradicate them before they spread through the irrigation channels etc. Quite a few of the locals were unimpressed and DPI had difficulties gaining access to some properties.

If you wish to have a event targeting noxious fish you have to obtain a permit from DPI.

It is fairly easy to obtain but you have to submit a management plan as to how you will dispose of any fish caught.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

If you wish to have a event targeting noxious fish you have to obtain a permit from DPI.

It is fairly easy to obtain but you have to submit a management plan as to how you will dispose of any fish caught.

Cheers

Ray

I struggle enough to try and catch legal and good tasting fish. ;)

If I do catch one though I'll do what I can to dispose of it. (in the most humane way possible for those who have issues with killing for the thrill of it.... not my style).

I'm definately keen to get into sharking this season though so will hit up that forum soon to try tag along with someone.

rayke1938 wrote:

It is illegal to target noxious fish in Qld. The thinking behind this is to disencourage people fishing for them. If people fish for them for either sport or for the table they may then be tempted to translocate them to a waterway closer to where they live and infest other waterways.

This may be true, but what a load of sh!t. In my opinion fisherman a doing the ecosystem a favour by targeting noxious fish and distroying them (those that do the right thing).

Archived