threadies everywhere

Tiny Tin

posty rocks up the other day..talk gets to fishing..apparently he knows a guy who writes for bushnbeach..anyway he says plenty of threadies being caught in the river..yarp yarp..the sunken wall yarp yarp..anyway he's off and i find meself in pro catch yarping away with ivan and milan (yarping for hours nearly stopped raining lol) and they too said..heaps of threadies getting caught in the river..rock on a bit and bump into another bloke..yarp yarp..yep them threadies are everywhere..like rats he says from the mouth right up river there must be millions of em..hmm bloody well hope so..looks like it's gonna be open season on em..:S

It is looking awesome, had a quick hot seshion this evening on them, id wait a few years before saying theres millions but they are certainly there now, if the stocks keep up we are going to have a lot of fun in the future. Still chewing my way through a good size mangrove jack so didnt need to slay any breeders nadders LOL.

brisbane_boy wrote:

It is looking awesome, had a quick hot seshion this evening on them, id wait a few years before saying theres millions but they are certainly there now, if the stocks keep up we are going to have a lot of fun in the future. Still chewing my way through a good size mangrove jack so didnt need to slay any breeders nadders LOL.

hey mate..is that a brissy river jack or from somewhere else? i got a good spot picked out for the river that some guys have acknowledged as a good jack haunt. funnily enough he reckons the jacks aint that big but the threadies in the same area are big.

bit of irony here as i've yet to see one lol. only had one or two half hearted efforts so far but seeing as i'm gonna target a jack or two i might put em on the list. i wouldn't keep more than one i reckon but that's at anytime of the year..i don't see what difference it makes if ya take one? if it's dead it wont get to breeding time..it would of had the potential to spawm a few thousand eggs anyway. but slaying em is another matter entirely..gotta look after what you enjoy eh?

guess it all depends on the size and time but all that info is out there now

i am fairly sure i know the jack haunt you mentioned. heard of a decent one coming from it in recent weeks, should be worth a look. i have a few spots in mind that should hold the odd jack too but i'd definately say its not the best waterway to chase em in

wittyfishin wrote:

hi guys

never been fishing for threadies but they look like good fun

what sort of bait do you need for them and do they go for plastics

live bait is best eg prawns or poddys or herring

You could get on plastics but I think it will take an enormous amount of patience and effort. All the Threadys me and my mates have caught have been at night to.

nadders wrote:

guess it all depends on the size and time but all that info is out there now

i am fairly sure i know the jack haunt you mentioned. heard of a decent one coming from it in recent weeks, should be worth a look. i have a few spots in mind that should hold the odd jack too but i'd definately say its not the best waterway to chase em in

when i used to chase these years ago you'd be surprised where they are. i've caught em in snag ridden mellon holes in creeks just a few metres wide. can't get out lately too much going on..boo :)

wittyfishin wrote:

hi guys

never been fishing for threadies but they look like good fun

what sort of bait do you need for them and do they go for plastics

Mate they take hard bodies as me nd me mate found out last weekend they fight very good. I carnt see why they wouldnt take sp tho probs will take lots of cast or trolls but yea.

cheers sean

Threadies are great sport on lures, not the easiest target but made easier with the right lures, the principle problem with thredfin on lures is the very soft skin membranes connecting large thin flat bony plates around the jaw hinges, a lot of hookups on hardbodies or single hook soft plastics are not converted, these fish have a very severe head shake.

Lures like transams or robzams with internal wiring for flexibility to cushion that impact and leverage exterted between 2 sets of hooks really come into there own for these fish.

Archived