Glen Lyon Dam and the river below

tomca

Had to work Saturday :angry: so ended up hitting the water at 5.30 after setting up camp. With no idea what I was doing, I pulled up on a point and cast a tn60 along the weed edges. Unfortunately there were random strands everywhere and kept fouling the lure. Changed to a spinnerbait and 5 casts into my trip I was on! Up comes a 50cm cod. Quick pic and he's away. As the sun goes down and the moon comes up I caught silver perch and another cod. The wind started to pick up around 7 so I headed in to the ramp. Thank goodness for the moonshine, as I would have been stuffed if it was dark.

This morning, not feeling well, I had a late start and hit the water around 10am and headed for the caves and caught 3 more cod and another silver. All on spinnerbaits.

Back at camp I became ill and decided to jam my gear in the boot and drive home 2 days early.

All 5 cod ranged from 44-50cm and the perch in the low 30's

IMGP0430.jpg

Sorry about the angle of the pic. Using a new tripod and just getting a feel for it

I wish Gus. I get hayfever sometimes and out west, rarely, something triggers a really bad reaction, my head wants to explode, and vomiting. By the time I hit Stanthorpe, I was feeling much better and nearly turned left at Warwick for a couple of days at Leslie Dam.

Matt, somehow I managed to keep my yella record intact. They are to me, what a cod has been to Jimmy :(

Just gotta find something to do tomorrow. Maybe I;ll go for a fish :laugh:

Nice cod tom, well done. Shame about cutting the trip short though.

I just realised that glenlyon dam is about 20 minutes drive from a property we go piggin on, which has pike creek (which is the feed of the dam) running through the guts of it, weve fished pike creek a few times but not much luck. Ill have to do a week trip there, two birds one stone B)

Probably the Burr bush is flowering, it does me over real bad this time of year if I am out west. I have to live on antihistamines for the 2 or 3 weeks it flowers.

You got some nice cod in your short stay! I'm also surprised you didn't cop some yella's as well with lures that small!

Rocket, deckie spots are always available, you didn't put your hand up.

Feral, dunno what that is, but I have my suspicion its those little purple flowers that grow low on grassy paddocks.

Plasticman, my falcon had no probs with the ramp, but with my boat I need a pretty steep ramp otherwise I have to skull drag the boat up over the rear rollers, so the ramp could be steeper for me.

And with 4hours boat time and an hour on foot, I am very happy with the results. Pity about the 620km travel for an overnight trip

Gus's new boat is perfect for it, just try not to sink it hauling a 1m+ cod over the side.

I'll definitely be up for it if you guys head up, the cabins might be the go, air con in the heat of the day :cheer:

My plan was suss out the dam in the first couple of days then chase the big buggers.

I'll need to get some of those big yankee spinnerbaits from somewhere, probably online.

hahah yep thats how it works, though the first year i fished it i was drifting down a creek near riverlink and this old dude decided to come out of his yacht naked and stand on his boat watching us fish while eating a bowl of cereal, it made me change spot so im thinking the mankini may work this year lol!

• 7 months later...

Archived