Your Opinion Please: Circle Hooks and Tilapia

EMP

I think I want to catch Tilapia tomorrow. I just wonder how circle hooks would work on them.

Tilapia do not have big mouths like say, the bass. It's mouth is "boney" (maybe similar to bream) rather than "fleshy" (catfish).

Any thoughts? :)

Thanks heaps. :)

EMP

would circles be best for your style of fishing? i haven't caught a tilapia, so am just going off hook patterns best for a style, but circles are designed to be eaten, swallowed at least down to the gills and dragged out till the hook point digs into the corner of the jaw. if tilapia are timid biters or like to chew a bit before swallowing, a circle could miss a lot of strikes.

owner and gamakatsu make some incredibly sharp suicide/baitholder hooks that are well worth investing in. they are also a finer gauge than similar sized circle hooks.

my two cents worth...

HookedOnTackle wrote:

would circles be best for your style of fishing? i haven't caught a tilapia, so am just going off hook patterns best for a style, but circles are designed to be eaten, swallowed at least down to the gills and dragged out till the hook point digs into the corner of the jaw. if tilapia are timid biters or like to chew a bit before swallowing, a circle could miss a lot of strikes.

owner and gamakatsu make some incredibly sharp suicide/baitholder hooks that are well worth investing in. they are also a finer gauge than similar sized circle hooks.

my two cents worth...

I agree the fine wire baitholders or wormhooks size 8 to 2 depending on the size of the fish work best for me

Regs Steve

A bit of a short report.....

Gamakatsu circle hooks, size: 4.

Six fish caught; 3 got away.

I'm not sure what could have been done to prevent the lucky 3 from escaping. Maybe a smaller hook? A bigger hook? Or maybe a circle hook is just not best for tillies? I've used the normal J-shaped hooks before but sometimes they don't do the perfect job either.

Oh well, maybe I'm just always going to whinge no matter what.......

EMP :)

DSCF0010_2.jpg

mate.. how the hell did u catch fish with no reel? tie the hook onto the end then just lift it out of the water? =]

nice catch haha! i normally use really small baitholder hooks with bread for mullet (works for the tillies) or bread on hook w/o the float which works a little better as the mullet dont really go for them

Archived