What lives in the dark places of the Brissy River?

nadders

Suspected northern ooglies :blink:

Myself, c_para and Kevin went for a night time bash around the river on sat, started out slow with a few cod and picked up when para nailed a nice squire at 55cm:

p1010001qu.jpg

Kevin was yet to hook up at this stage and was getting anxious, he came through in true style though braining the most rediculous capture i've heard of recently:

p1010007qh.jpg

By nadders86

p1010003cf.jpg

Never heard of a brissy river barra before, ever. Who knows where this one came from but it knocked us all for six.

After that excitement, the spot produced a few little jewies and then a location change and some more crankbaiting resulted in another cod and a flatty

cheers

Dan

i kinda disagree whiskers i think it was a fish tank releasee, from all the information i've found threadies have been here forever but have never heard of a barra capture before. Most likely it was an escapee like wesfish's coomera barra a while back, but still pretty cool haha and it has definately been in there for a while (going by the colour of the fish it has been living in saltwater for a while)

We all know threadies have made it this far south so why not their tropical cousin?

Be they released aquarium fish or just trailblazing explorers, I've now seen captures from Coomera, Coochin and now the Bris River so there are obviously a few around :)

Bring on global warming!

Looks like he was nice and healthy too, you'd think Kev could crack a smile just this once ;)

Nice snappa too.

Go the Brissy River.

Rocket

Feral wrote:

rastus wrote:
Impressive was itreleased

One would assume so, its closed season.

Well done Kev, great fish. Have it on good authority the midnight stocking group put a few in a couple of years ago, might be one of those.

Fisheries will get upset if you call them the MSG Feral

Regs Steve

nadders wrote:

i kinda disagree whiskers i think it was a fish tank releasee, from all the information i've found threadies have been here forever but have never heard of a barra capture before. Most likely it was an escapee like wesfish's coomera barra a while back, but still pretty cool haha and it has definately been in there for a while (going by the colour of the fish it has been living in saltwater for a while)

This is why I want to get into tagging! Imagine the story that fish could tell. :)

brissy fish wrote:

Some great looking fish there boys :)

Just wondering if a land based fisher would be able to catch some thing like that or those fish only caught in the middle of the river??? any ideas? :)

the fish is most likely an escapee mate, there are alot of private dams that stock barra in the logan river area and in an overflow event some escape into the logan, i would say this fish is one of them most likely.

the waters too cold down here for barra to breed anyway so i wouldn't hold my breath on many more being around, could be more escapees by all means but you may be waiting a long long time for one to come along lol

and benno, im not sure why you seem to enjoy stirring ex members but if you have to please do it outside my report

crazy catch.

And very good to see that a picture like that can be posted without a blacked out background. Not saying that you have ever done that Nadders, but previously fish of that calibre caught in the river are reported without unedited pics. Very appreciated to see.

Archived