Bass and firsts!

ryanyoung

G'day all,

As mentioned in my last post, I was keen to get out again into the fresh to try for a bass. So yesterday afternoon, I met up with Jimmy and his Dad (Great to meet you Dennis) out the back of Petrie, and off we went to fish in the river up there (sorry, not sure exactly what it is called up there!).

It was a fantastic day, awesome weather, so we set up on the weir, for no result. We then moved around to the river bank, once again for no result. I moved further up the bank to a nice little spot with plenty of casting room. I changed over to a TT Flouro Green and Orange Spinnerbait, as I heard they were good to go, although I hadn't caught anything on it! (Had it only two days though!)

I was able to cast it a fair way on the flickrod, as it carried a bit of weight, and I made slow constant retrieves. I was in the middle of one such retrieve when it was hit pretty hard close in to the bank I was on! WOOHOO....I was on! The fish put up a pretty good fight, with a couple of short sharp runs, before I had him up on the bank. It was a bass :woohoo: (my first, and also first fish on a spinnerbait). He came out on the brag mat at 44cm, and after Jimmy came over and took some quick snaps and showed me where to hold the bass without getting pricked or hurting the fish, he was put back.

From there, I lost my spinnerbait fifteen minutes later, so abandoned that spot and headed to the weir. Jimmy and Dennis moved in to the spot and had some good times, catching four bass and a tarpon between them.

The weir wasn't producing for me, except to lose another lure (my favourite one) on a snag, and soon enough Jimmy and Dennis joined me for some popping. It was coming onto dark, and Jimmy managed another small one. Dennis took off, so we moved around to the east side of the river and tried there. I was having no luck with the poppers, so I cut it away. Jimmy immediately snaggled it up and stated that he will catch a fish with it. Sure enough, within five minutes, he was on, but it spit him out. Not too long after, he was on again, this time bringing in a decent bass.....He sure showed me!

From there we moved back around to the western side of the river, and set up camp there for a while. I was back on the poppers, trying in vain for a popper bass. Jimmy bought in one or two more, and I was starting to get anxious, after all, I only had one to my name. Jimmy got bitten off twice in the space of five minutes by some unidentified monster, losing a couple of nice lures, while I was trying different retrieves with the popper. I had a couple of hits on the popper, but no hook-ups, and then suddenly, as the lure was twitching between the shadows and the moonlight, I felt a slight nudge, and I was on! I knew straight away that I didn't have a massive fish on there, but I didn't care, I had a bass on poppers :woohoo: ! Sure enough, when he came into shore, he was quite small, so a quick victory pic, and off he went.

Jimmy managed to hook a lungfish on a lure, it played havoc with his drag, and as it broke the surface out from the bank, we saw that this thing was HUGE! :blink: It wasn't to be though, as it spit the lure and went on its merry way.

Jimmy caught the last bass of the night, a decent sized one, it fought very hard, and Jimmy called it for a much bigger model than it was due to this. Awesome fight! :lol:

By this time, it was getting late, so we headed back to the cars, luring as we went, but apart from Jimmy getting a hit on the weir, that was it for the night.

All up, it was a great night, with some firsts for me, and good company. The fishing wasn't spectacular, however it was still great fun!

As a result of losing a lure and spinnerbait, I headed off to Big W today and picked up a few new lures, I can't wait to try them out!

Cheers for reading,

Ryan.

Here is my first bass.....and me.......being pretty happy with myself :P !

DSCF0483_AFO.jpg

ryanyoung wrote:

Jeremy Vs Kristy wrote:
Jitter Bug :P ?

Force Ten Outback Lures "Billabong Bug 6".

I reckon the cheapos' from Big W should work just as well as those expensive brands from BCF and such!

That walker is a good un. They do a blue sparkly one as well, both are bass magnets in the right conditions.

Jeremy Vs Kristy wrote:

No offence, but i agree with chris_stewart14.

.IMO. Still a great report, but maybe some information should have been left out to give these guys a fighting chance. (I understand the basis of AFO is to fish & report. Maybe sometimes discretion should be used. IMO)

It's unfortunate they went over the wall.

:S

The area was recently electrofished and is upstream of a weir.... most of the catches bagged from the weir itself get thrown downstream so give them a chance to hit the salt to breed... i dont see a problem with this ?!?!?!? its the bait fishos that get down there with their can of worms and take 10 -15 home that wreck it

Travis wrote:

Jeremy Vs Kristy wrote:
No offence, but i agree with chris_stewart14.

.IMO. Still a great report, but maybe some information should have been left out to give these guys a fighting chance. (I understand the basis of AFO is to fish & report. Maybe sometimes discretion should be used. IMO)

It's unfortunate they went over the wall.

:S

The area was recently electrofished and is upstream of a weir.... most of the catches bagged from the weir itself get thrown downstream so give them a chance to hit the salt to breed... i dont see a problem with this ?!?!?!? its the bait fishos that get down there with their can of worms and take 10 -15 home that wreck it

Agree with your last statement whole heartedly Travis.. But the more we blaintantly advertise the exact locations of such spots the more people we open to go down and do the wrong thing.. I believe the same arguement is being made for the pipleline with Thredfin at the moment.. The irony of telling people where the big Thredfin are hanging out to breed sends people in their droves there to target them and only half do the right thing. I'm with Jeremy in that sometimes discretion is a better option for all concerned. I was definately not trying to have a go at Ryan - we sorted it out via PM and he's a good bloke who got some fish, Im pumped for him.

Perhaps I should have explained myself better, but these fish are trapped there until it rains enough again.. Being sitting ducks coupled with web advertisment of where they are means they have little to no chance of lasting very long.

Apologies if anyone got bent out of shape - it wasn't my intention.

Chris

nice going on ya bass ryan :)

i agree with booty ,they mite flog this area but it will take pressure off another area.

not every1 is going to go mad and flog the area .

from reports etc i have known where this area is for a while.

have never fished it yet,would rather not travel that far and also like to target and try in local area to me more.

anyways he wasn't to exact on location,just the suburb.the road or crossing name weir name would be worse ,and easier to find .

bootyinblue wrote:

Great report, great fish, great times..... Well done!

As for revealing where you fished, who cares. All it does is perhaps move some people from other areas to this one, giving the other areas a breather. Its all a cyclical process ;-)

That's a good point Booty, it's one that has been banging around in my head for a while now. After I posted about Bulimba, it got very popular and still is, this may or may not have contributed to the recent donuts down that way. As Booty has said however, this has undoubtedly alleviated some of the pressure on other areas.

I understand wholly the opinions expressed by blokes urging discretion, however, I am willing to share my experiences, as I believe this makes the experience more enjoyable, and certainly promotes dormant members to get out and have some fun.

When I first started fishing, I received help off members from this site, who didn't hesitate to show me some good spots that had been firing for them, both in the salt and fresh. This was a great help to me, and it's one that I still appreciate. The very least I can do, IMO, is help out other anglers in the same way I was helped.

As for people out there who fish outside legal constraints, this will happen anywhere, and I believe it is up to responsible anglers to set the example both by deed and word, and show/explain to the un-educated or ignorant (fishing-wise of course) anglers out there the proper conduct (both morally and legally)which is expected of them.

Funnily enough, this spot and others like it, are quite often not secrets or mythical "spot x's". Nothing is sacred with the advent of google earth/maps! Quite often I have talked about an awesome spot I had found, only for the bloke describe it down to the type of grass underfoot :P !

Anyway, enough of the rambling, this is my opinion. It is not designed to spark arguments or controversy within our online community.

Cheers and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

bootyinblue wrote:

Great report, great fish, great times..... Well done!

As for revealing where you fished, who cares. All it does is perhaps move some people from other areas to this one, giving the other areas a breather. Its all a cyclical process ;-)

Exactly..... im sure nadders started off banging threaddys at the pipeline and is now banging them im other spots all over the place

Maybe I have been on the site too long to really care about the 'breeder slayeranting' but top marks to Ryan, great job!

Big smacks to Jimmy for taking him there. :laugh:

On the upside, it was CIW getting a flogging 12 months ago, with report after report showing good bass and bream, now just one report of late.

I remember Chris asking for advise on fishing certain spots on this forum, so it tastes a little hypocritical to me.

Who cares whos doin wat, where as long as its legal and no one is gettin hurt, all u greenies need to chill out and find something else to worry about as I know for a fact that all the people i have fished with in the fresh release there catch. If ya do see some one doin wrong either say something or contact the appropriate authorities, Come on guys just enjoy ya fishing coz I know i do.

Dean ;)

Onya Ryan.

That area has been a bit of a hot spot for several months and a lot of people ( including myself on occasion ) have enjoyed the fishing there.

It isnt anyones private precinct and I see nothing wrong in revealing its general location because that is all Ryan did. If you havent been there it will still take a bit of research to find the exact spots.

There has been a few hints in other posts also.

The location is already well known amongst the meat fisho fraternity and DPI and Rangers do check it out from time to time.

Most of the people that I have encountered there fish it responsibily.

Just as an aside some members of the stocking group encourage people to take any yellas that you catch there home or euthanise them as they are not endemic to the area and have no prospect of breeding unlike the bass.

It is a great spot for a newbie to go and polish up their angling skills with a good chance of catching a nice fish for their efforts.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah look play on.. Im not saying this was my spot X and not saying it was a secret and the Bass need to be protected.. Thats totally not my angle at all and I am never one to bang on about protecting anything - thats not what my post was about..

If you think my statement hypocritical then Im disappointed because I as everyone has asked for tips on this site about locations you've never fished.. That wasn't even what this was about was it? I didn't get on my high horse about anything actually, I just made my opinion that blaintant publicising of locations where fish are trapped in a 200m river with no chance of escape will lead to them becoming more and more scarce.. Which it will!

Thats my opinion..

I certainly value yours, but I simply disagree and come from a different view point..

All sweet though. No drama.

Chris

I wonder how long before no one posts reports?

Ryan great of you to get a good bass, when someone other than Dino is getting a few on the dam (IE the average mug might be able to catch a few!) we will have to get a few with permits to take some deckies out for a spin and a BBQ.

Archived