threadfin fishing with Ray Kennedy = 114cm thready

rumrunner

i met ray at the ramp at 6am and we were straight off to the poo shoot to get some livies for the mission!

apon arrival Ray threw the cast net while i manoverd the boat around and within a half hr or so we had the well filled with a mixed bag livies for the morning,

we moved to rays thready spot only to find someone allready on it and allready hooked up to a good sise thready!

we waited and watched from a distance to see his reel fail and him bring something in by hand while his other rod was going off! after a good fight a thready was pulled onto his boat and we then commenced anchoring and baiting up and began the waiting game!

a fair bit of time past by and Ray had few stingrays and shovel nose on the board and i was yet to get a touch!

after a few hrs had past my thaughts were to start downsising the bait and hooks to see if i could get atleast a hit or two, but i kept to Rays game plan and stayd with the settup!

soon after my rod began to tug a little!

i picked it up and set the hooks and i was onto something pretty big! :woohoo:

it was fighting hard and giving good runns and tail shakes so i called it for a thready while Ray was up fast and ready with the net!

after a short fight we were slightly dissapionted see a big fat stingray

come to the surface! :huh:

time was getting on a bit now and the bait was getting pretty small and scarce!

and the fish had stopped biting while the tide was turning so we waited for the runn out hoping for some last livie luck! :unsure:

Ray pulled out the last lot of small livies and we baited up and threw out with my fingers secretly crossed for our last chance!

after a short soak we finnaly heard what we wanted, and looked to see my dropshot bend and scram like i have never seen it before! :woohoo:

i was up like a rocket and struggeld to get the rod out of the holder because of the weight! i sett the hooks a little better and felt someting wrong?

i was around the bloody anchor!! :angry: after a short struggle i had it off the anchor and started to settle into the fight when my other rod starts going silly aswell! ray grabbed it and we had ourselves a double thready hookup for a short time!

the lines got crossed and we had to do a bit of a tango to untangle the lines and Ray unfortunatly lost his mid tango! :( i was still on and it was pulling like a schoolboy but didnt have much of a shake to it so i called it for a bigg ray and then setteld dow a bit more and gave it as much stick as the dropshot and 25lb fireline could handle!

after a very tiring fight i began to get it to the surface and Ray was ready and waiting with the nett just in case! (i think he knew something i didnt)

i was then totaly gobsmacked when a huge thready appeard before my eyes!

Ray was fierce with the net and had no problem landing her but needed a little hand to lift her on deck,

once on deck i was woo hooing and ya hooing and all sorts to say the least!

we did a few pics and bragmat shots and putt her straight on ice!

the brag mat said she was 114cm and the scales said about 9kg!

i still cant get over it! my first time chasing threadys and im rewarded with a 114cm! :)

all i can say is the smile is still on my face now!

i want to give a huge thankyou to Ray for taking me out on your boat and showing me the ropes!

i deffinatly would not have caught this fish without you and your knowlage mate!

THANK YOU!

cheers Ian.

first pic is Ray with what we thaught was a good thready but turned out to be a stingray 03112009381_Custom.jpg

post-2165-144598509155_thumb.jpg

benno573 wrote:

Great catch Ian and good on Ray for the expert guide services!! Was it a herring or mullet that did the trick?

Just a quick FYI... After a long fight it is best to bleed out a fish as quick as possible as it helps release lactic acid from the muscles... I.e meat!

not sure what tay are called? they are the little buggers that get caught in the canst net by the dozen!

thanks for the tip mate!

cheers Ian

Fishing with Ray is always a lucky dip, you never know what you are gonna catch and you never know if his bloody boat is gonna stay afloat! :woohoo: The only sure thing is that the esky will be full and you'll have a good time.

You caught a fish - bonus! Bloody good fish too, well done she's a ripper.

When that guys reel failed you are lucky not to spend the next hour watching Ray help fix tha darn thing. :laugh:

BTW what size net was he chucking over the boat?

Brian D wrote:

Fishing with Ray is always a lucky dip, you never know what you are gonna catch and you never know if his bloody boat is gonna stay afloat! :woohoo: The only sure thing is that the esky will be full and you'll have a good time.

You caught a fish - bonus! Bloody good fish too, well done she's a ripper.

When that guys reel failed you are lucky not to spend the next hour watching Ray help fix tha darn thing. :laugh:

BTW what size net was he chucking over the boat?

lol :laugh:

thanks Brian

i think it was a 10ft x 1 inch

cheers Ian.

Feral wrote:

Good fish.

At least I didn't get a picture at work this time!

Geez sorry I clean forgot about it in all the excitement.

We had achieved our target and just wrapped the fish in the insulation and ice and packed up and went home.

There was a bloke in a yak who kept us entertained watching him reel in catfish after catfish all morning.

Cheers

Ray

Gazza wrote:

Well Done Guys ;)

Hey Ray whens my turn lol

and Rummy whats with you writing the report you always get me to write it when we go out lmao :P

Gaz

cheers mate

yeah i am a lazy bugger when it comes to posting reports but this time i was bloody exited to say the least!

ray said you can post and i said ...ok! :cheer:

cheers Ian

heres another pic for ya bud! 03112009389_Custom.jpg

post-2165-144598509525_thumb.jpg

That would be right :P he just doesn't want me to out do him lol :woohoo:

It is true I like the blue but can adapt to all forms of fishing ;)

I fish where the weather lets me :)

Cheers Gaz

ps ask him where I suggested we go the first w/e we went Bass fishin lol :P

short memories these young fellas :P:P

Gazza wrote:

That would be right :P he just doesn't want me to out do him lol :woohoo:

It is true I like the blue but can adapt to all forms of fishing ;)

I fish where the weather lets me :)

Cheers Gaz

ps ask him where I suggested we go the first w/e we went Bass fishin lol :P

short memories these young fellas :P:P

yep true that!

not sure why but i cant wait to get a shark that sise!

maybe stanage this yr?

yes i said it Gazz! :huh:

were off mate!! :woohoo: im good to go from the 1st to the 11th of jan!!! :woohoo:

dan is coming aswell!!!

cheers Ian

Archived