the great debate

shortie

john its a bit differnt with deep water snapper because those studies relate to much deeper water than 16m, and more than just the swim bladder is affected. the guts poking out, eyes bulging etc whereas with threadies they get affected from pretty shallow water because they have such a big swim bladder so it provides alot of bouyancy when inflated, but they havent been subjected to nearly the same pressure change as those deep water snappa

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno as the current runs fairly fast so they would be swept away. I have had one that i released on the surface to swim away and it was seen floating around 50 feet behind the boat but i dont know if it got back down again.I dont know much about barotrauma, I always thought that fish had to come from much deeper water to suffer from it.

Cheers

Ray

Whiskers wrote:

fishing_hardcore wrote:
One Barra in the Brisbane river does not constitute a fishery, so there is really no ethical issue there, it was legal too.

The debate over threadfin is valid and maybe they should be like flathead with a min and max size limit.

Other than that it is totally somones choice if they want to keep a 1 meter + thready; despite if our own personal thoughts on the matter may differ, it is not law.

cheers

Well if the government say it's ok then it's just gotta be :dry:

Yes of course the government does not have eternal wisdom, somtimes they stuff up big time, I was not saying "obey the government whatever happens".

But I have two points to clarify.

1.) If enough people feel strongly about the min-max limit on threadies, then what avenue do you take to put the wheels of change in motion? Who do you approach? What is the fundamental approach for a group of people seeking to change state legislature?

2.) While there are no laws in place I have always been aware of a kind of snobbery that might occur.

Some afford a boat and fish twice a week with top quality gear, they know the spots and the times. Others may not get out so often, they might always eat their catch and it would make a great meal for a family or freinds, they might not be up on the latest "threadfin biology" and may be of very good intention when taking a fish.

So really there is two ethical points, one is the taking of the fish, the other is acusing somone who has only good intentions,enjoys fishing as they know it and are following the current fishing legislation.

cheers

rayke1938 wrote:

Gad I brought it up in post number 228908 on page 6. The matter of inflated swim bladders has been mentioned in another thread around a month ago ( I think)but there has never been any discussion on how to recognise this or how to deal with it so I thought this thread was the appropiate place.Apparently the symptoms are inflated guts but you will have to have seen a normal fish to compare, swollen anus ( I thought this was just from the fight or normal for a threadie)and inability to dive when released.

Waiting for nadders or brisbane boy to comment they seem to be the experts on releasing as I have only ever released around 3 fish, 2 of them being weighted.

Cheers

Ray

ellicat wrote:

Nadders has mentioned it in some his reports and in the thread last week on the topic. Will post a link later.

Thanks ellicat and rayke,

I had never previously considered that barotrauma could/would be a problem for threadys,this is thought provoking,not only think outside the square but look outside it too.

cheers Gad

Archived