king threadfin or burnett salmon

tugger

i've seen a few posts of late with the salmon we find in sth east queensland river systems and not alot known if they are native to these river systems or escapees . the book 'grants fishes of australia' written by ernie grant i bought in 1995 and he descibes them caught in brisane and the noosa rivers before then . so there's a good chance they are native but still little is known about them here ,i think research is the key if we're wanting to keep balance to this fish resource .

GO THE THREADIE

mark

no photo's, it was all weight then for bragging. All those years ago cameras were with a fair bit of loot, and not waterproof, you wouldn't have let a 16yo loose with one on the river anyway!.

We didn't even realise what they were, just thought it was normal to get huge catties at Pinkenba. Wasn't until years later when I lived in Rocky where they are a common catch that I realised we had been catching threadies back then, not huge catties.

I never took a camera fishing unless on holidays until recently when digital cameras became affordable. You also have to consider there were very few fishing the river until about ten years ago and information about the specialized techniques used to consistently catch threadfin were not published for all to access.

Threadfin reports were around 15 years ago at local tackle shops but most didn't know how to target one myself being one of them.

Mick

when i was talking about threadfin to my dad ,he said :

yeah they been there for years,**** eating ,good fighting .

most of the older fisho's are prob more like him and always fished the bay in there adult life and only fished the river as a kid/teen.

first time i fished the Brisbane river for squire 3 years ago with a mate.

he was tell me comon m8 nice squire in there.

i kept telling him **** nothing in the river bar catfish.

that's all i have ever caught the few time i fished the river in my teens.

my dad took pic's of fish and camping ,4x4 etc over the last 36 years ,but fish pic's where only special ones. a big 1 or kids with 1 and so on.

yeah a lot of pics from them day's would be in the esky or on the fillet table.

here is a post from my wall ,the other day .i was at work day dream about fish .

Davo_Dinkum, 2009-10-24 10:23:30 [Remove]

Davo_Dinkum

my thought for the day .

it's about the brisbane river .

the water quality got better in the last 10 years .

they tightened what runs into the river.

cause the stopped dredging .

they used to get gravel at jindalee/17 mile rocks .

now about the threadfin .

there has always been a few in the river .

now there more .

well the water a better quality .

but what about global warming .

the water is warmer .

there where more threadfin up the coast in the warmer waters .

so cause of global warming the water in the river would be warmer .

so the fish from up the coast would come further down .

brisbane_boy wrote:

ok cheers so it begs the question

did they continue to be caught or was there a 20 year gap?

I cant find a pic from 10-15 years ago and ive tried

Dont know - but I have read a DPI research article which talks about how the putty nose perch has made a come back after not being seen in the river since the late 60's. Before that it was the most prolific fish in the river.

Just had a look in my History Steve - my mistake wasn't from the DPI site, it was from the lies and sensationalism site, but still worth a read.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21092703-5003419,00.html

There was a second one very similar from around the same time, they must recycle ;)

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21089923-5007191,00.html

60 years ago Dad used to take us fishing beside William Jolly bridge for perch and we used to fill a sugar bag of a Saturday arvo I went back 30 years ago and managed around 5 a trip. Have not heard about people targeting them any more. In their time they were a valuable addition to the larder.Sorry to go off topic.

Cheers

Ray

While I take photo's of everything it certainly (and regretfully) wasnt the norm back in the day.

My dad grew up and peregian and I have only 2 photo's of him with good fish. He did however fish and spear fish upwards od 3 times a week on the inshore reefs (and that time almost unfished) and if 1% of the stories he tells are true some amazing fish were caught. My point is whether or not I doubt someone it wont be becuase they dont have 30+ year old photo's.

Angus

Before the internet, the people you wanted to show them off to either lived with you or would come over and have a look. :laugh: When I lived in the small community of Coolum (pre population explosion) the gun fisherman in town lived in the street behind me. He would hang his fish in the garage and there would be a procession of locals thru his garage to have a look when he got a biggun.

Taking photos was a pain when you had to send film away to be developed and hope that when it was returned the image was actually processable lol

I know that between 11 and 15 years ago there were times when collages crossing and about 300m downstream was clear enough to snorkel(only 5m visibility at best) due to more fresh flowing over mt crosby weir. We saw plenty of large threadies then, was amazed at what fish and other critters are in there.

I was out the for a fish at the beginning of the week and met Brad the Thready research guy, he's a nice bloke and we had a good chat.

Facts are always good to have, and one thing that I remember him telling me is that the oldest Thready he's found is 12 years old, so possibly they left and have returned in recent years, or maybe they only live for 12 years ^^.

Maybe if someone has some contacts to access the records of the old Watersiders, API,Railway Institute,Hospital fishing clubs they may find something recorded. All these clubs used to fish the sunken wall area in January/ February for the run of summer bream. They may possibly have got some as bycatch but they only used 6 or 8 lb nylon on 6inch alveys so probably would have been smoked and called it for a jewie.

55years ago I used to fish with watersiders and cannot remember any photos being taken in those days. Cameras even box brownies were fairly rare,film and developing costs expensive so photos were reserved for special family events not for recording day to day lifestile.

Cheers

Ray

Since this post appeared I`ve been looking through some of my roughly 45 years of accumulated fishing books on this subject for a couple of books and a Qld Fishermans Chart.

Sadly, for me we restumped the house a couple of yrs ago and some of my essential reading materials few still packed away,and I think this is where this chart has got to.

This chart was put out in the early to mid 60`s and was given to me by my dad,sometime in the 70`s.

On this chart it showed the species of commonly caught fish of those times.

The distribution area of the threaddy was shown to be from the Northen Territory/Qld border right around the coastline down to roughly the bottom end of Moeton Bay/Gold Coast area.

The "Fishermans Guide 2009" shows this also.

In an old Anglers Omnibus by Rodger Hungerford,from the late 60`s,puts the ditribution area as"from Carnarvon WA.,around the northern caostline down to Bundaberg,all prolific areas,and is a common catch down to the Qld/NSW border area.

IT lists Broome,Cooktown,Mackay,Rockhampton,Gladstone and Bundaberg as threadfin salmon fishing Hotspots.

cheers Gad

brisbane_boy wrote:

ok cheers so it begs the question

did they continue to be caught or was there a 20 year gap?

I cant find a pic from 10-15 years ago and ive tried

I lived my school years in Bundaberg,and during the 60`s my dad,brothers and I fished the Burnett and Kolan Rivers regularly and threaddys were definately a regular catch.

In the early 70`s,with my own transport(Morris Minor Panelvan),I also fished the Littlebella,Winfield,Baffle Creek areas,threadys were a regular catch there also.

I left that area to travel and work up and down the east coast of Australia in 1974.

I went back to Bundy for a few years in the mid 80`s,now armed with more fishing knowledge,better fishing gear for the times,and alot more fishing tricks up my sleeve I fished those areas again.

I caught a total of 3 threadys in that time,but if you knew where barra in the Kolan river where still there to catch.

Catching up with mates,and some old fishers from previous times,I would always mention the threadys from the past,..whats the go..where are they now.

Replies.. thing of the past,your lucky to hear of a couple being caught.

And NO I don`t have any ### photos :laugh:

cheers Gad

• 1 month later...

Archived