Kooka Park sharking

dan25

there should be some lil pups popping out by now , it is around the right time to the start of the sharks out there, they are all ways there but as december comes around they increase in numbers ten fold lol its a pity so do the ski and wake board lice lol as all ready said live bait is best! have you moved to ippy yet?

efc wrote:

hey dan when you move out to ippy give me a yell and we will organise a shark session

sounds good mate, i havent had the chance to head out that way the last few weekends and it seems like not going to be able to go tomorow either because of the distance.

When i move to ippy in 3 weeks i'll let you know, ill hopefully have my boat around christmas time aswell so should be good :)

efc wrote:

got 6 sharks on 6 mullet last friday near the boat ramp while fishing for threadies.

spent 3 hours getting bait and was all out within 1 hour

has anyone had luck with muddies in that section of the river?

Excellent news to hear, ive read that you can catch some good thredies up that way,dont mean to hi-jack your thread dan25,ive only just recently moved down to One Mile not far from kookabura park(15 mins)Id love to go for a threadie ,they look like a nice fighting fish on light tackle.

To look at the water up that way i would'nt of guessed ,glad i found AFO.Hope you get some good bullies.

Alan. :)

HookedOnTackle wrote:

i would have thought a few bull sharks would scare away the sea lice... how well do bull sharks handle sitting in the water while hooked? let em run toward the ski lice, see how long they hang around! :D

The bull sharks have got a bit of a bad rep ,if i was a sea lice i dont think i'd want to be a spaz and do something silly and fall off in the water and dangle my feet in the water for too long,you could let one go on the run till a sea lice came your way then reel it in to their path. ;)

Dattofan Iv'e landed a 5ft bullie on Mojiko 30lb braid no worries afer a nice fight it surface next to the boat although this was at west end the bullies in the Kooka area are generaly smaller but this time of year there are a few mumma's lurking around Good luck but 40lb will deffinety be enough

Dasa05 wrote:

Dattofan Iv'e landed a 5ft bullie on Mojiko 30lb braid no worries afer a nice fight it surface next to the boat although this was at west end the bullies in the Kooka area are generaly smaller but this time of year there are a few mumma's lurking around Good luck but 40lb will deffinety be enough

Hiya Dasa05 ,thats good to hear you got a good size speciemen ,id be on cloud nine to get something that size(i think id crap my pants) :( thanks for the info ;)

Alan.

mick fillet wrote:

dattofan 40lb is plenty maybe even consider lighter 20lb even 15lb we have boated many sharks at kooka using 8lb. 15lb line still has the strength to cast out a good size live bait and you dont need to use that much drag let em run its half the fun.

Hi mick fillet ive got a penn 2000 with 20 lb braid with a penn 6ft rod, im land based at the moment,can you buy live bait or do you have to catch it your self,i mostly do fishing with bait.Yeah working the drag is a lot of fun :cheer:

natang wrote:

Dattofan if you are going to Kooka Park head to the junction on the way use a cast net there you will get live mullet throw them in a bucket and head straight to Kooka.

Thanks :) natang for that,i have to go and get a heap of gear on saturday so i will check them out,I watched you tube and seen how they give a video on how to use them ,so if i get one i think i will have to do plenty of practice throws to get the hang of it :) looks a bit of an art to me.cheers.

Alan

natang wrote:
Dattofan if you are going to Kooka Park head to the junction on the way use a cast net there you will get live mullet throw them in a bucket and head straight to Kooka.

bullies can be caught at the junction too.just like the lower,they are right through the upper river system.

I heard recently that a mate has seen some 2.5m+ ones between the junction and kooka park last week...??

as mick-fillet said 15-20lb is all you need,unless skulldragging/win at all cost is the aim.

cheers Gad

Archived