casting SP's from land

cboy69

I'm trying to get a Bream on SP's and I see people suggesting casting towards structure a lot.

This seems a lot easier from a boat. so how do I do it from an estuary? Casting forward goes to open water.

So far I have tried finding sand banks or jetties that allow me to cast parallel with the bank.

Any suggestions would be great. If you can tell me some locations that work so I can try it out for myself that would be even better. At the moment, I'm not sure if my technique is wrong, or my planning (Going for bream is best at the nights preceding full moon on the high tide).

Thanks

cc

Try this, when you go down to your local jetty instead of giving the biggest cast you can into the middle of nowhere try flicking your soft plastic underneath at the pylons as this is where most of the bream will be sitting in the structure in the shade just waiting for something to come past for them to eat. Goodluck and i hope you nail a few.

mate you'll find a lot of the time when you are landbased that you'll just have to make do with where you are... There are plenty of times that I have caught bream casting out as far as I can.

If there is structure around, cast at the structure... if there isn't any around, cover as much ground as possible. Sometimes structure is underwater where you can't see it.

I have perfected (well I like to think so) a back handed side cast, which basically means the rod tips travels parrallel with the ground as I flick my right hand holding the rod from left to right.

Dont go for mazzive distance as fish will normally hold around structures like jetties, pontoons etc, which are only 8-10m off shore.

With some practice you can get the SP or hardbody to skip on the water once or twice sending it further under the structure for greater distance.

structure can also be rock bars, weed banks, channels, holes...

noisy jetties spook fish, though pretending to be a ninja will get you strange looks (don't ask), so try walk on the support beams of wooden jetties, don't stomp or drop tackleboxes, etc

wading is another good option, try casting downwind, look for gutters, channels, weed, rocks, etc. try and think like a fish, this area offers protection from the current and predators, food is close by, etc. doesn't mean they are always there or hungry, but any advantage is better than none at all!

I agree with everything that has been said and fish are sometimes where you least expect them to be!

Land based fishing can be really tricky sometimes, I always looks at if I can see structure. If there is current flowing hard where would fish want to get out of the current and ambush bait passing by?

If possible wade out a little and hop your plastic along the bottom, I recently was just practice casting at Tipplers at South Stradie amongst jet ski's, boats etc and ended up hooking a 50cm flattie hiding behind the little jetty.

Just keep practicing!

I've heard good things about fishing the incoming at Tingalpa Creek on the other side of Ricketts Rd bridge from the fishing platforms, down on the bank flicking into the eddies of the bridge supports. Lots of snags/structure though. Also you could try by the railway station, near that houseboat/sub thing. Got a few nibbles on an sp at the Thornside boat ramp as well. Or flick in the Manly harbour nr the good fish and chip shop. Quite a bit of action yesterday and that was on the low. Caught Flatty, Flounder and Tailor on sps there. Then there was my Pike-o-thon on sps off the T jetty nr the wading pool. Lots of weed beds, easily castable from the jetty. Good Luck and Report back. Maybe meet up next week sometime for a lure sesh as I think I have bad habits and need to see someone elses technique. Tuesday or Thursday 9-2pm are good for me.

cboy69 wrote:

I'll have my secondary rod loaded with yabbies also :D

One small hint. If you are serious about getting into lures, it is extremely helpful only bringing your luring rod and leaving the bait one at home. This forces you to use the lures without getting tired of it and going to bait too early.

That is ofcourse, only if you want to use lures solely. If you just wanna catch some fish, with the ones on lures being a bonus, take your bait rod as planned :)

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, Instead of starting a new topic I thought I would just chuck my question here.

This arvo I thought I would give some SPs a go for the first time, I got some nice little pink prawns and was really hoping for anything (Flatties, Whiting or Bream etc) I was out on Chambers Island on the Maroochy River.

Now a few things, first my casts were really short 5-7 meters is this normal? and is there anything I should be looking for, using or doing to target these fish?

I have had a fair read for the last few days but some more imput can only be a good thing!

Cheers,

Bluey!

Nope should be at least 20 meters.

maybe your jig is too light.

you want a light braid too, about 4 or 6lb.

Here's a live topic, video also gives a brief run down on the gear used.

Soft Plastic fishing

you can catch bream using the same method, but a 3" minnow is probably more effective that the larger 4" placcy's (Although I have caught a lot of bream on 4" plastics).

cheers

hey bluey,

mate the question warrants a new topic :) Its a different question or addition to this original post.

No real probs though, just a heads up.

but what gear are you using? rod/reel/line? if you can give us details about each of those that may help us diagnose your prob for you.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the gear you're using is too heavy for light soft plastic work.

try casting at the pylons of the old bridge on the flats at the mouth of the pine river the water is only about 60cm deep most of the time so you can just walk out but i have got some nice bream gest casting out and slowly retrieving soft plastics and vibes you also get flathead, whiting, and rays, there

Thanks Do$tylz, Some forums mods don't like you ask the same/similar questions on their forums so I thought I would play it safe. :)

As for geer, your probably right it might be to big... from memory its a 8ft Javis Walker 'comet' combo (Just a cheapie as Im not the best fisherman and only just moved to the coast.) 10lb line, and I was using 2"/3" soft pink prawns with 1/12 jigheads (as they looked the same size of one that was already rigged in the packet.)

It was only a short fish so Im not suprised I had no joy, I was more concered that the SP wasn't hitting the bottom or casting very far.

Archived