Viking Espri outboard mount COMPLETE!!!

mongrel jack

Hi all interested people.

I have finally taken the yak for a test run with the minn kota attached and was very impressed. The only issue I had is I think it probably needs a kg or 2 right up the bow to give a bit more direction with the steering other than that a complete success - doesn't get in the way of paddling or trolled fishing lines. Doesn't lean the yak to the side with the outboard on - stability has been maintained. I spent 2 hours on the troll today so gave it a good run and caught a few fish to boot (I will do another post on that . ;))

I will post a few pics up so you can get the idea. If anybody wants any details just ask.

Cheers,

P1000371_600_x_450.jpg

Stick your 5 litre water bottle in the nose. That will hold her down.

Here is a hint, get a small amount of clothes line type rope, just loosely a loop around the motor, and another loop solidly to the yak somewhere. Just in case the motor decides to pop off your mount!

Seems to manouver OK with the outboard although it is a rather large turning circle - I think I will take on both of Ferals ideas (thanks). I think the weight in the nose will make her steer a bit better - if not I'm not complaining she does the trick as is.

Yeah Davo the whole thing aint gonna move in a hurry :P she's as solid as a rock!

You will find the steering problem is due to 2 factors.

1 motor mounted forward of stern.

2 very little keel on the yak.

I would suggest getting a small polly kitchen cutting board and attaching it to the leccy to act as a keel. Maybe Dino will see post and show how he modified his leccy.

Cheers

Ray

Archived