Shark Thoughts?

chris_stewart14

Stumbled across these snaps in a work email.. Without heated debate I found it a little disappointing really.. Absolutely understand that sometimes all captures cannot be saved and without knowing the background my comments are purely based on this was taken for a trophy..

Very sad considering an animal of this size was most likely swimming the oceans through both world wars and strung up for that one great photo..

Regardless what an animal these are.. Without doubt the most terrifying thing on the planet.. I would be stuck in a cage with Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, afew lions and bears before wanting anything to do with this bad boy..

Chris Shark1_AFO-20091106.jpg

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Regardless what an animal these are.. Without doubt the most terrifying thing on the planet.. I would be stuck in a cage with Chuck Liddell, Rampage Jackson, afew lions and bears before wanting anything to do with this bad boy..

Chris Shark1_AFO-20091106.jpg

how about stuck in a cage with Chuck Norris?

very sad to see this!!!!!!! Great whites are an apex predator and need to be protected at all costs! They create balance in the ocean ecosystems!!!! If the catch was by mistake its a fair mistake but to purposely try catch these amazing animals is a great shame!!!!!! Just sad old good for nothing losers trying to get a name for themselves!!!!!! And i totally agree, would never ever want to meet one out on the surfboard!!!!! Most likely just die on the first sight......that's if i saw it coming!!!!!

Schilling wrote:

If the catch was by mistake its a fair mistake but to purposely try catch these amazing animals is a great shame!!!!

pretty sure this one wasn't just 'bycatch'.........don't reckon my bream gear would stand up to it hahahahahaha

if i recall correctly this shark was taken in south africa......pretty well known for its great white population. i don't think they're in much danger down there.....but i'm sure someone here will blast me for my ignorance :)

"Monster great white shark caught in South Africa not yet fully grown"

Fishermen are asking if this is the massive great white shark that has been stealing their catch, breaching repeatedly within metres of one terrified man's surf ski.

These photographs of the 4.3m monster have been circulating on the internet, but reports from the South African fishing town of Mossel Bay confirm they are no hoax.

Frighteningly, scientists who dissected the female shark say it was adolescent and not yet fully grown, The Daily Telegraph reports.

Still, it had already grown to a weight of around 700kg when it was caught in shark nets off a popular swimming beach on August 31.

Conservation authorities tried to save the disoriented creature by towing it out to sea but it swam back, became entangled again and died.

South African newspaper The Witness quotes a local fisherman who believed it may have been the same shark that breached near his surf ski and stole a barracuda he had been reeling in.

However, scientists said that was unlikely as sharks seldom stay in the same area for long.

They also said it was not the biggest shark ever caught in the area.

A 4.7m great white weighing 1.1 tonnes was caught off nearby Richards Bay in 2002.

Original story here.

Joel ;)

Great White attacks in Cape Town are few and far between, plenty of Great Whites there but to many factors.

1. The water is too cold for swimmers to swim longer than 5 min

2. Seal population in Mossel Bay keeps them well fed.

Infact a great day out if you in Cape Town is to go Diving with them in a cage, and see them eating in the wild. Only $200 for the thrill.

Leighton wrote:

The ice man and the ego!

Anderson Silva and Royce Gracie will have you submitted before Bruce Buffer can say 'its Time'

I was going to mention the Spider but figured no one would know who I was talking about..

I am OBSESSED with Anderson Silva... For anyone who doesn't know who this guy is - he is without doubt the pound for pound best fighter on the planet today..

He is the Michael Jordan of Mixed Martial Arts. Watch out Vitor Belfort...

He would haveto be Thai right? He looks almost too dark though - is he Phillipino? Those Thai kids have had like 20 - 30 fights by the time they turn 14.. Crazy stuff - guess thats what happens when it is your national sport.

The Spider has 3 fights left to go on his UFC contract then he wants to retire and take on Roy Jones Jnr at boxing. Personally I think he'll beat him too..

thousandyards wrote:

if i recall correctly this shark was taken in south africa......pretty well known for its great white population. i don't think they're in much danger down there.....but i'm sure someone here will blast me for my ignorance :)

Leighton wrote:

Danny Green is on Fox now talking about his fight with RJ Jr

Thai he is, I believe he has the best win loss record over all fight sports

UFC 110 is in Sydney

Mate I know... I desperately want to go but have a wedding in Sydney exactly two weeks before and dont wanto pay for seperate tickets/hotel to go back down.. They are talking The Axe Murderer as headlining the card. Personally I think with all these fights getting postponned off 108 through injury (spider vs belfort, brock vs carwin, rematch of the dragon vs shogun) they should bring us a title fight :cheer: They never will as it certainly wouldn't come with the same hype in Aus.. Sure would be good though.

Archived