Land Based Fisho Looking At Getting Into A Yak.

dattofan

Hi every one, im pretty new on here and have seen a lot off posts by anglers using kayaks for fishing,i havent done any research yet in to prices,so im just asking,im on a low budget at the moment.could some one tell me the average price for an entry level yak new or second hand how much would i be looking at on average.

Alan. :)

Dunno bout that Do$tylz, your inflicts plenty of pain :angry:

I wouldn't get a daylite paddler from BCF. The basic pacers can be found for under $400 2nd hand and can be pimped with a couple of rod holders and esky. Peddle powered yaks are well over $1500 2nd hand, and for that money you can buy a sweet setup paddle yak with electronics 2nd hand ready to fish. Some of us have more than one yak, so keep an eye out for yak trips and you can try it out. Yakking isn't for everyone, so try it first

Couple of other sites AKFF and KFDU quite ofteh have second hand yaks for sale as people upgrade.

Anaconda hire out yaks if you wish to try one out.

A good place to check out is the weekend shopper in the courier mail. They seem to go a lot cheaper than on the yak sites or ebay.

There was a viking tempo the other weekend that went for $400.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah paper etc is much cheaper for second hand yaks than the kayak sites.

New bare bones (no seat no paddle) pacers start about $360, go have a look at Goodtimes at the Gabba, they have lots of different yaks (I reckon they would have a hundred or more on site).

Mate I'm happy to recommend the Viking Espri - about $900 brand new and just add what you need (rod holders etc...). The guys at Viking at Chermside looked after me well (did a package deal with all the bits) and I think Angus is an agent for them as well so ask him what he can do for ya. Check out the range on their website.

Having said all that, after my research this was the yak for me so you will have to assess your needs as to whether you want peddles, electronics, outboard etc.. In my opinion the espri is a good entry level yak for a reasonable price. More than happy for you to come check my yak out if you like - it also features in a couple of posts on here. Sh$t I sound like I should be selling the things :laugh: .

Good luck!

cheers,

Thanks for the replies guys :) ,sounds like there is a few options out there,second hand would proberby be the best for me,the sugestion of hiring a kayak out before buying one is a good idea,i used to be able to row a boat(20 years ago)

$1000 and under would be in my range ,i dont need all the bells and whistles just something i can put a rod holder or 2,eski and tackle box.Thanks for all your sugestion guys

I started off with the espri, for under a grand it is a good starter yak. I had mine about 18 months before getting into the peddle yaks. You can easily pick up a great yak for under a grand 2nd hand it should be well kitted out too.

Depends what style of fishing you want to do as to what yak will suit, but my biased opinion says the espri is a great allrounder.

I just looked up viking kayaks and the Espri model with the full fish kit looks like it would be pretty well equiped enough for my gear.

I just want to go fishing and expand the area that i cant publicly access(jetty,boat ramps,beach and the banks)

I mostly bait fish with pilchards,gulp blood worms,cooked and raw prawns,fisho,salmon and coles marinara mix,have tried squidgies on many occasions,with no luck.proberbly just me being to lazy,or doing it the wrong way or tide times ,colours but have read that they are a good product for the flatties.

The Extreme Kayaks could be worth a look as well. Especially if you are looking for a bigger yak like their Outlaw.

I have 2 Wilderness Systems Tarpons and love the, however they are probably a bit out of your budget. If you ever want a paddle, I would be happy to lend you one.

Maybe another yak social is in order. :P

bigtez wrote:

The Extreme Kayaks could be worth a look as well. Especially if you are looking for a bigger yak like their Outlaw.

I have 2 Wilderness Systems Tarpons and love the, however they are probably a bit out of your budget. If you ever want a paddle, I would be happy to lend you one.

Maybe another yak social is in order. :P

Hi bigtez thanks mate thats a great offer,if you are heading out in one of the yaks and your got the time i'd jump at the chance to try out a ride in one of your yaks to see how i would go on one,i havent ever tried one :ohmy: only a row boat years ago.

Archived