drag netting

Lachie

It is quite legal as long as it complies with below.

Cheers

Ray

Bait Nets (seine net) - a bait net may only be used by a person under 15 years old if supervised by someone older than 15 years old. The net must not exceed 16m in length, 3m in drop and must have a mesh size no greater than 28mm. The net must not contain a bag, pocket or device of like construction. The use of the net is subject to the following conditions:

* It must not be anchored, staked or fixed

* No part of the net containing fish must be out of the water other than to immediately remove fish

* All regulation fish and fish not intended to be taken must be released into water deep enough to allow the fish to escape.

Shrimpo wrote:

Ray have the rules changed because it says nothing about attatching it to a boat or kayak, I was always under the impression that you couldnt do that but from what you posted their is nothing saying you cant?

G`day shrimpo, i`ve always been of the opinion that it is implied in the rule that you can not attach it to a boat/yak etc,that comes in under the..anchored,staked or fixed part of the rule

cheers Gad

uglyfish wrote:

It must not be anchored, staked or fixed...Yep thats right or you will be done for having a set net....Its all in the rules and regs better look it up bud

G`day uglyfish, in your fisheries manuals do they have a chapter on smiling, happy dispositions,and how to tactfully deliver information. :laugh: ;)

cheers Gad

Gday Lachie,

Mate I,ve been draging a bait net mainly in the southern bay for a number of years, The best tip I can give you is to look for weed banks. Somewhere like Thompsons beach Victoria pt.

Best results are at night.

Look for a low tide around 6pm (in summer )and get down there about 7pm. You will get alot of prawns (tigers, bannanas & bay)some of your by catch you want will include sandies , flathead(best in net 78cm) and the odd muddie.

Some of the by catch you don't want will include sting rays, happy moments & bull routs. Sometimes you will bring in yopur net and it will be full of catfish eels( 100's ), they will also sting you but i am still to find a better bait for sandies.

Best to take a good torch, tongs and some gloves.

Tip.. Take a thermos full of hot water as this is the best first aid for marine stings, trust me if you get stung by any marine creature hot water will nuturalize the toxin

P.S sorry for the bad spelling, been to the AFO Xmas party and i am a little bit cut at the moment

sam@2bentrods.com.au wrote:

Gday Lachie,

Mate I,ve been draging a bait net mainly in the southern bay for a number of years, The best tip I can give you is to look for weed banks. Somewhere like Thompsons beach Victoria pt.

Best results are at night.

Look for a low tide around 6pm (in summer )and get down there about 7pm. You will get alot of prawns (tigers, bannanas & bay)some of your by catch you want will include sandies , flathead(best in net 78cm) and the odd muddie.

Some of the by catch you don't want will include sting rays, happy moments & bull routs. Sometimes you will bring in yopur net and it will be full of catfish eels( 100's ), they will also sting you but i am still to find a better bait for sandies.

Best to take a good torch, tongs and some gloves.

Tip.. Take a thermos full of hot water as this is the best first aid for marine stings, trust me if you get stung by any marine creature hot water will nuturalize the toxin

P.S sorry for the bad spelling, been to the AFO Xmas party and i am a little bit cut at the moment

lol that is very dedicated!! wouldnt catch me wading around neck deep at night!

Gad wrote:

uglyfish wrote:
It must not be anchored, staked or fixed...Yep thats right or you will be done for having a set net....Its all in the rules and regs better look it up bud

G`day uglyfish, in your fisheries manuals do they have a chapter on smiling, happy dispositions,and how to tactfully deliver information. :laugh: ;)

cheers Gad

Dont know how you read my earlier post gad but it wasnt intended to be rude,all i was trying to say is the rules and regs are all on the dpi fishweb site and its not hard to look up the rules for your self.I mean they obviously have a pc cos there on here asking all the time,look it up print it out then its at your hands when ever you should need them..

uglyfish wrote:

Gad wrote:
uglyfish wrote:

cheers Gad

Dont know how you read my earlier post gad but it wasnt intended to be rude,all i was trying to say is the rules and regs are all on the dpi fishweb site and its not hard to look up the rules for your self.I mean they obviously have a pc cos there on here asking all the time,look it up print it out then its at your hands when ever you should need them..

G`day again uglyfish,

no probs from me,

when I read your reply to the original post,I recalled rayke(as he often does)giving genuine,well intentioned(and correct) advice to someone re fishing under wharfs,and that was taken most unwelcomely.Some can be a little fragile at times.

Yes we do have a wealth of information just a couple of key strokes and clicks away,some are less competent with this technology,and some can be lazy.

Anyway my reply was meant to be humourous not provocative. :)

cheers Gad

uglyfish wrote:

Joel Eadie wrote:
o, my bad

what about castnetting? is it illigal to keep and eat what you catch in that?

i cant help feel its cheating a little

As long as its the legal size for that species,and cast nets do have a size limit on them as well

and as long as you're casting in salt water... no casting in the fresh dams or creeks.

Archived