sunday night christening

nadders

i was pretty unmotivated to fish but tristan was heaps keen as he hasn't been out in ages so that motivated me enough to christen my new calais ASV and battler nighthawk combo on sunday night.

the setup is purely awesome for jigging plastics/zams and vibes down to about vt65 weight, i was a little worried about the castability of the ASV but shouldnt have been as when paired with the nighthawk it was flinging whatever i wanted wherever i wanted it pretty much.

Anyway, mad setup and love using it, fish were a little slow , the water may be getting a bit warm for the old snappa. Ended up trying a few different spots, i had a big hookup probably from a threadfin or large jew but the hooks didn't stay, kev had a big 3 second hookup too lol

moved around a bit, usual snapper/cod haunts were pretty quiet, wo we moved to old faithful for some sure thing snaps and found a few jew, mine going just about legal and tristans around the same, kevin came up with a 45cm or so snap and another smaller jew. all fish caught on zams of the rob variety, with some bonus hits that didn't hook up on various other lures

come 9 or so we dropped tristan back at the boat ramp then headed back out to be met by an approaching rain front so we ran home. drop in pressure may have put the fish off the bite, who knows

anyway i'm really impressed with the new combo its probably the most comfy in my hand that i've fished yet, no fatigue at all after some solid hours of casting and hopping lures

i think next time i put in at the river im gonna either head upstream and try for some middle reaches shallow water threadies (something i've been meaning to do for ages) or head out further into the bay. The jew and snappa getting a bit thin makes me hungry for a bit more action!

random12.jpg

random13.jpg

yeah dont get me wrong i'm not dissapointed at all, but when the spots we fished fire its not uncommon to get 3 or 4 jew like that per angler in a session, plus tasty snappa! i think its getting a bit warm though so will have to focus somewhere else :S

btw are you upgrading your boat malcolm, didn't want to clutter your for sale thread but dont care if i clutter my own report haha

haha, it hurts every time i tell this story, but...

i went DC, and it arrived, and had the DC bug

for some reason that shimano wont even elaborate on or accept, the calais/antares dc's occasionally have a problem that makes the cranking rough and frictional for a small part of the handle turn. its to do with AR bearing housing being out of alignment, and when shimano is notified they look at it and say "nothing wrong you're dreaming"

so basically i wont ever buy a calais DC again, i got out of owning a dud this time as kevin agreed to trade his cq250dc and keep the calais as a non fishing collectors item :S

ASV however has different AR assembly and doesnt have the problem, is smooth as butter and has a 300m spool which i will make use of chasing goldens and tuna and i couldnt be happier with the purchase! so i no longer feel depressed :D

cheers mark for sure. im thinking good and hard about tuna season at the moment so let me know if you wanna jump on my boat for some high speed spinning, or let me follow you around the bay or something ;) haha

wish the weather would gimme a break though so i'm confident to venture out a bit, geez

Nice fish mate if you ever need a decky ;)

I'm surprised how often you get onto the fish I have been out I'm my mates boat a bit and it's realy hit and miss tho I think we need to prospect a bit more. One of the reasons I'm thinking of getting a side imaging sounder so I can see what I'm sitting above.

Archived