New Species For me. ID please!

MoparKevUk

After donutting with my SPs I treated my self to a bag of prawns. After a few Moses Perch in Manly marina near the good chip shop I ended up on William Gun Jetty fishing straight down off the end near the new floating pontoons;

Reckon this is some sort of Emperor/sweetlip;

f2.jpg

But don't know what this smooth skinned butt hooked 1 is;

f1.jpg

TIA!

the bottom fish is a black spinefort,rabbit fish or more commonly a"happy moments"

what it is is 8 to 10 hours of throbbing pain if it spikes you

and one will get you eventually if you keep fishing

the good news is that each succesive sting hurts a little less than the one before

so you must build up an immunity over a long painfull time

Joel Eadie wrote:

correct my if im wrong but arnt happy moments a type of travelly? and if so and anyone ever tried eating them lol?

Caught a bunch up at maroochydoore a few years back, Some eastern europeans wanted them so we gave the catch to them and a few hours later they brought us over a plate I thought it was really tasty ( I rate trevally ) S don't let the looks scare you just take care preparing them :)

Heard they're good eating as well. And yep, the other one is a Grassy Sweetlip. Colourations don't really mean much as they can change colour almost instantly and often from the same spot, you'll get ones which almost look like a Spangled Emperor, and then others with dark bands and then they'll swap colours as soon as they're out of the water.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Heard they're good eating as well. And yep, the other one is a Grassy Sweetlip. Colourations don't really mean much as they can change colour almost instantly and often from the same spot, you'll get ones which almost look like a Spangled Emperor, and then others with dark bands and then they'll swap colours as soon as they're out of the water.

Thanks Cowfish.

Never seen one black and white before.

ellicat wrote:

Cowfish13 wrote:

Thanks Cowfish.

Never seen one black and white before.

No worries. Sometimes I call them for a Spangled because they look nothing like a Grassy and when I show Jack, he says Grassy. When I look back at it it has completely changed colour :S

Archived