pumicestone pasage

Fisherjoe

im heading up to the pasage this weekend in a mates boat, both of us have never fished the area before, can anybody give any tips for us? besides the bridge. we will be there all day from real early to catch the morning tide through to over the low tide.

any tips for getting squid and other fish a little better then just bream and whiting?

best baits / lures to troll?

thx in advance

Joe I agree with fishingnut, seen many a vessel's captain and crew pushing their boats to deeper water :S

It all depends where your launching from and how far your willing to travel during your day. I have caught some quality fish under the bribie bridge in a big hole including snapper, big sweetlip, estuary cod and jewies. This was prior to me becoming a SP fisherman but live mullet or herring (might get a few using a bait jig around the bridge if you have no cast net) are the best, then pillies and squid as a fallback.

Trolling sx40's and 48's around the dropoffs is a good way to find a few lizards, as is drifting these edges with no motor sound while flicking SP's in the direction your drifting. For flathead my favourites are the 10cm P/seed swimming mullet or grub minnow, jerk shads and minnows from bekley and atomic in watermelon or p/seed, or squidgy fish in gary glitter. The thing is with SP's sometimes its just a matter of finding what colour and/or style is getting the action and work them. Also make sure you use the smallest jig weight needed to get the SP to the bottom.

Good luck on your trip, hope you get a few!

Andrew

Archived