Kurwongbah Electrofish?

bigtez

Went past the Scout Den last night and it looked like the DPI were heading into the dam with an Electrofish boat. Is there any one who can confirm this and perhaps shed a bit of light on the results?

Also, what are the future plans for access to the dam for fishos, ie kayaks, canoes etc? Will the general public be able to use it (through permits no doubt) or will it be land based only?

Cheers

Terry

At this stage bank fishing only, need an SIP.

PRFMA are doing regular survey's of the dam, and DPI are doing regular electrofishes. If you saw sparky heading out, no doubt some of the PRFMA boys would have been on board to assist, might be one who is a member and give us report.

Hey Andrew,

At this point it is still bank fishing only and while I am able to source adequate funds for PRFMA to spend on Kurwongbah, I would hope that this lake stays off the SIP scheme.

DPI had "squirt" on the water in February and I am unsure if "squirt" was out this week but our recent survey showed the Bass in the Lake at around 28.5 cm TL so the original estimate of the fishery being operational within 2 years is still on target.

In the last two years 167,000 fish have gone in to the lake and this year we have funds at this point to definitely stock 31,000 Bass and a further 12,000 Goldens. If successful with some further funding this will jump up by another 25,000 fish.

elops wrote:

Another point worth making is that the Tilapia population seems to have recovered and are currently up to 35cm and in considerable numbers if any one wants to assist in a bit of vermin removal it would be appreciated.

Regs Steve

To hard to organise anything formal with SEQ water's insurance requirements, but maybe a social fishing arvo one weekend in December?

Archived