next upgrade to my reels. how about yours?

apoklyps60

Feral wrote:

Bit sad if your paying hundreds for a reel then have to upgrade bearings and drag. May as well start with a cheap reel!

i guess it's similar to car enthusiasts, or enthusiasts of any hobby really lol. buy something and pimp it to sh*t, pimp a high end reel and you have overall quality + extra quality, pimp a cheapie and you have an overall lack of quality + good bearings :D

Do$tylz wrote:

^^ good analogy there Nadders.. fair call... its like a riced up S2000... it may go like the clappers... but its still your sisters...

hahahah thought this was closer to the mark,lol i will be seeing how the drag is on the curado at monduran and making a decision on it from there.

Kriso if your feeling dodgy about the Curado drag, ya should have a bought a Revo to start with! (Not that you will have any problems with the curado drag, they easily handle big barra).

Dunno about the analogy Nadders, got a mate who does a lot of reel servicing, he says internally there is not a lot of difference between mid and high range reels in the brands he does, except the bushes are replaced with bearings - literally. (He buys mid range reels and replaces the bushes with bearings)

yeah i dunno about that, i can't speak from experience servicing reels myself but i have a friend who services 10 a week and says the exact opposite :P

maybe the bare guts are similar i.e gears made of the same material (not really the case) but the degree of engineering and precision, and quality of seals etc are quite noticable, for example, take a calais, tie it to a length of line and troll it behind the boat for a while, then take a lower end reel and troll it behind the boat and see the difference in water intake etc

not saying that trolling your reel behind the boat is normal fishing application at all lol but over time the less water intake etc and the more precision engineering the better durability and functionality is

Archived