Closed season – coral reef fin fish

tacklebox

14 November to 18 November 2009
/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/28_3055.htm

There has already been one in October but we are in closed season again right now. I must admit I had no idea! I have a copy of the queensland fishing regulations dated 1 March 2009. There's just one tiny "disclaimer" that the 2009 coral reef fin fish closures are under review and to check the dpi website.

For those that aren't aware, goldspotted and blackspotted cod (estuary cod) are classed as coral reef fin fish.

fishingnut wrote:

is it just me? but I cant find estuary cod on the list? black or gold spot... have hade afew beers tho

That's DPI for you – they're not on that list.

I only singled out estuary cod for people who might think they don't go reef fishing and therefore the regs are not relevant to them. There are a lot more species on the list and quite a few of them can be caught landbased around Brisbane. e.g. Moses perch, sweetlip.

cheers for that, never heard of these closures before this post

they say ignorance is no excuse but jeez, this isn't exactly well advertised is it. i'm fairly sure 99% of people who fish the estuaries mainly around se qld won't know that estuary cod are off limits between 14-18th nov

Note: Fish with new size and/or bag limits, and/or limits that now apply to both the east coast and Gulf of Carpentaria are marked ‘NEW’. The changes are effective from 1 March 2009 (except limits that apply to sharks and rays that are effective from

1 July 2009, and size limits for pikey and yellowfin bream, tailor and tarwhine that come into effect on 1 March 2010).

Coral reef fin fish*

Species

Size limit (cm)

Bag limit

All cods and groupers

38 min

Combined limit of 5 in total of all cod and grouper species

Cod and grouper exceptions

Bl

ackspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW

38 min 120 max

Camouflage grouper NEW

50 min 70 max

Flowery rockcod NEW

50 min 70 max

Go

ldspotted rockcod (estuary cod) NEW

38 min 120 max

Greasy rockcod

38 min 100 max

Maori rockcod

45 min

Barramundi cod

No take

Potato rockcod

No take

Queensland grouper

No take

All coral trout

38 min

Combined limit of 7 in total of all trout species

Coral trout exceptions

Blue s

potted coral trout (Chinese footballer)

50 min 80 max

All emperors

25 min

exceptions how does every one interpret that?

5 per species

the exception is that those listed species have a max size or a different min size to the 38 min of "All cods and groupers" listed first

they're listed in that table as a c.r.f.f though, not sure if the legislation itself has a list of what is considered c.r.f.f for this law, and whether the location (i.e actually from reef areas or from river/estuary) matters

Hey guys,

I spoke to the dpi this morning about this as in previous years the closures have only applied to waters north of 24.50S. While it is no where on the site (go qld government, you are so sh1t) they confirmed over the phone that the closure does only apply north of 24.50S, which is about waddy point on Fraser. I haven't as yet received the email I requested with this in writing but they encouraged anyone concerned to contact them as the feedback about lack of information on the website is important for future years.

Cheers,

benno <>-<

guys, for those who care...

Whinging works!!! After suggested to the dpi that their website was rubbish, they have updated it, all boundaries clearly defined and a map!!! Woot!!!!

Also, regards to the question about whether it is per species or location ....it is a blanket rule covering the species, regardless of if the Moses perch or e.cod was caught up a creek or in 60m of water on the reef you are bound to release it under the closure.

Cheers

benno

benno573 wrote:

They would be totally useless mate as green zones are an EPA thing, dpif just enforce the laws given to them by the EPA

realise that benno, but i figure if you can get one gov/department to do the right thing you may be able to start a chain reaction through them :laugh:

Feral wrote:

Gad wrote:

realise that benno, but i figure if you can get one gov/department to do the right thing you may be able to start a chain reaction through them :laugh:

:ta:

Gad, that's gotta be the best laugh I've had all week!

Shouldn`t you be quadruply checking everythings ok for Moondy,and spending these last moments expressing your endearment to the offspring

Flippancy and sarcasm goes over my head.

Have a safe trip and may your fish hook up well.

cheers

Archived