Green Island shark

Old Scaley

Hi All

Went crabbing and bait soaking at Green Island this morning for no result. 1 sand crab just over legal, a couple of grinner, a small squire and a bream about 24cm. The only real excitement of the day came when we were pulling the pots up at the end of the morning. We were in about 7 metres of water and as the pot was coming off the bottom, I could see a huge grey shape swimming slowly around the pot. Got the pot up a bit more and holy sh*t - the biggest shark I have ever seen inside the bay came up with it. It didn't attack the pot, just cruised around it. Same thing happened with the next 2 pots which were about 30 metres apart.

I know encounters with sharks are a bit contentious on this site, and I don't have a camera at the moment, so I have no proof. But it did confirm 2 things for me: 1. I am in no hurry to get a yak (I was sh*tting myself on a reasonable sized tinny); and 2. No way i am swimming around any of those islands from now on!

Not really sure about size or species. My brother reckons 12 ft, i think probably 10ft. Could have been a bull shark, but I have never seen one that big. Very broad across the head and the head was rounded rather than pointed, so maybe a big bully?

As for dangling anything in front of it, I was more interested in seeing how my brother was going to react if the shark grabbed the crab pot since he was the one bringing it up to the top. :lol:

thousandyards wrote:

broad, round head....i'd say a tiger. there's a few in the bay aren't there?? a bully that big would be on the less common side.....

Nothing stopping it being a Bully. Actually a bully was the first thing I thought of when he said it...

No offence to Old Scaley, but based of a small and not very detailed description, it could have been a lot of things!

Stevie Wrote:

Guys,

I know Old Scaley pretty well and his eyes are not as good as they used to be. Could well have been a frolicking dugong

Stewie.

Funny man, Stewie. Looking forward to more of your barbed humour during the BRC. :laugh:

Ray, no offence taken. I know the description is a bit vague (shark - big one with rounded snout). I have seen tigers offshore before and you can generally see the markings. Didn't notice any markings on this one. Probably explains the lack of fish and crabs though.

Cheers

Steve

It is that time of the year when some of the big momma's wander into the bay to give birth. By December all the insane little ones will be biting everything and anything that appears in front of their nose :laugh: My money would be on a whaler/bully they are the most common of the big bities we have.

Archived