half a donut?

tobie10

Well, after unsuccessfully asking some folks out for a fish, I arrived at my favorite lazy spot outside Eves in Newstead a bit later that anticipated, ie: Sunday night instead of Saturday :laugh: I still don’t know how to cast net, so I used the bucket as a seat and set up one rod with a with a very dead prawn and the other rod with a dead-after-mysteriously-smashed poddy mullet. 10 minutes in, dead prawn is SMASHED! And then off. Silly me for only bringing one whole dead prawn. When I reel in there’s only bits of prawn clinging to the hook shank. Bait up again with cut prawny bits and back in.

About 20 minutes later, the dead poddy gets pulled out. Crank the drag on and reel in something that seems to cut through water pretty easy. Closer in I can see it’s some kind of eel...iridescent purple and some other colors, might be pretty looking if it weren’t for that toothy grin. After a picture, it goes back into the river to swim another day.

P1020184.JPG

Pretty much pack up soon after that for dinner. All the prawn bits were cleaned off of both setups and I saw a lot of vibration on the rods, so there were probably a lot of pickers out as well. Not the best night, but not bad for a one hour session, and good fun! So far I’ve caught a catfish, stingray and now a pike eel all in that general area. Wouldn't mind a threadfin...

its a pike eel, and they get to some very large sizes (6foot and up)

have heard some horror stories of people getting bitten and having to go to hosp with a pike eel head attached to their leg as it lockjaws, lol, so be careful

there are a few goldfish getting around, they're still in spawning down at the mouth so i have been leaving them alone, but ive heard of quite a few 70-80's coming from that area and further up the river in recent weeks

It's the second one I've caught, but the first one was all silver and not colorful like this one. Thanks for the warning...I did get a scratch on my finger from the teeth that hasn't stopped bleeding properly but it's too superficial to be serious. Not my favorite thing to pull out.

seems there are a few around.

Fished off the jetty at Nudgee beach on Sunday morning and my mate caught a large pike eel as well. I was the lucky winner to try and get the hook out gave up after a few close snaps with those ugly teeth. It might just be me but this specific eel was very agressive and even when I eased it back into the water tried have a last crack at chomping me. My jumps did amuse the crowd that gathered.

funny, both the ones I've pulled out have been pretty docile. It just kinda swished me when it was trying to wriggle away, not really snapping at me.

Don't worry Ryan, family should come first! I called a lot of people that weekend, but it was just one of those busy ones for most people. Let me know if you'd like to have a fish sometimes this week, should be pretty free. And er...cast net might need to be fixed first :blush: Area I was practicing in wasn't clear as I thought it was and too deep for a swim.

tobie10 wrote:

funny, both the ones I've pulled out have been pretty docile. It just kinda swished me when it was trying to wriggle away, not really snapping at me.

Don't worry Ryan, family should come first! I called a lot of people that weekend, but it was just one of those busy ones for most people. Let me know if you'd like to have a fish sometimes this week, should be pretty free. And er...cast net might need to be fixed first :blush: Area I was practicing in wasn't clear as I thought it was and too deep for a swim.

Definately, this week for sure! By the way, when I got my castnet, I practiced on the lawn! Great place to sort out technique without the hassle of damaging the net. Maybe use Tobie as an aiming point! Ha ha, then again, maybe not!

See you this week some time,

Ryan.

yeah I thought about using the lawn and tobie...problem is, I don't really have much outdoor space in the apt...might need to go outside at night and try. Feel pretty silly during the day, esp since its quite busy in my area. Not sure Tobie will stay still long enough though... :laugh:

And PumpyChowdown, definitely will send you a pm! I'm really sporadic about going out though and don't typically stay long, so hopefully it works out. Usually go around 5ish and stay until 6:30ish.

tobie10 wrote:

yeah I thought about using the lawn and tobie...problem is, I don't really have much outdoor space in the apt...might need to go outside at night and try. Feel pretty silly during the day, esp since its quite busy in my area. Not sure Tobie will stay still long enough though... :laugh:

And PumpyChowdown, definitely will send you a pm! I'm really sporadic about going out though and don't typically stay long, so hopefully it works out. Usually go around 5ish and stay until 6:30ish.

Cool. I'm usually home about 530, so could hit the water realisically about 545. I've got a castnet, and know how to throw it, but I wouldn't be throwing it around there. WAY too many rocks for my liking.

Nice! Yeah I wouldn't either...I thought near the teneriffe ferry during low tide might be okay for cast netting, but I reckon I should have a go first since my net is already buggered. But yeah that entire shore has eaten a lot of my hooks and sinkers. That's why I like that Eves spot...I haven't snagged there once.

Archived