Jessica Watson

ellicat

We actually had jessie martin as a guest speaker at our conference at Hammo... one of the questions asked at question time from one of my colleagues " Hi Jessie, so how is it possible that you've sailed around the world, on your own, at the age of 17 and have not collided with a cargo tanker??"

How funny Henry.. I couldnt even navigate Brisbane river last night without nearly getting run over by rivercat things.

Waiting on a cable for my GPS to arrive and when I overlay it to google maps you should be able to see exactly where I a) was unscrewing my can holder so I could get full throttle B) texting to a friend c) dodging a rivercat at full speed x 4 d) watching some interesting activity in a unit opposite Holman Street wharf (those units that are lit up like pure white make a perfect shadow box)

bootyinblue wrote:

How funny Henry.. I couldnt even navigate Brisbane river last night without nearly getting run over by rivercat things.

Waiting on a cable for my GPS to arrive and when I overlay it to google maps you should be able to see exactly where I a) was unscrewing my can holder so I could get full throttle B) texting to a friend c) dodging a rivercat at full speed x 4 d) watching some interesting activity in a unit opposite Holman Street wharf (those units that are lit up like pure white make a perfect shadow box)

:laugh: :laugh: Do tell more :woohoo:

(If I'd done that there'd be a report about it :laugh: :laugh: )

bootyinblue wrote:

I couldnt get full throttle and reach my stubbie at the same time.....LOL

Nah I put new sides on where the speakers are now and hurridly screwed my can holders back on not taking into consideration the arc of the throttle. All fixed now... stubbie held between the legs!

So I've heard :P :laugh: :laugh:

bootyinblue wrote:

rivercat rivercat rivercat what rivercat :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: hope you have insurance as i know who would come off second best :ohmy:

She's got bigger balls and more guts than most.

Here's a copy of her blog from a few days ago.....funny to think my 14 year old is too chicken to watch the scary bits in horror movies :laugh:

/>http://www.youngestround.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Foggy

We didn't exactly get anywhere today with very little wind. This morning was misty and overcast again, but this afternoon has been pretty special with a really thick fog closing in. It feels like there's a great big grey moist blanket draped over the world and just before it got dark the fog got so thick that I could hardly see 50 metres ahead. It's really a pretty amazing sight, but along with the almost complete silence, it's not far off feeling downright eerie.

I've been working hard not to let my imagination run away from itself, but it just feels so surreal sitting almost motionless with a big rolly swell passing undereath and the white swirling fog surrounding us. Now that it is dark Ella's Pink Lady'snavigation lights at the top of the mast are lighting up big rays of red and green fog. It feels like something out of a movie!

I think I've got the complete opposite to the sunshine, heat and the craziness of the last minute Christmas shopping that everyone's experiencing back home. Out here in my own little world things couldn't be any more different!

I have to say I've been feeling a bit homesick on and off today but I refuse to let it stop me from appreciating every moment out here.

I've been carefully planning out my Christmas dinner and the light winds mean that I'm almost constantly on my toes adjusting Parker's course. It's not exactly the most difficult task. I can normally correct Parker without even leaving the cabin by reaching out and adjusting the windvane line on the tiller, but the constant adjustments get a bit tedious when trying to get some down time.

Less than 2300nm to Cape Horn now, so despite all this slow progress we are slowly getting there. If this fog keeps up I'll be having a white Christmas of sorts!

Jesse

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Cowfish13 wrote:

Hate to say I told you so, but...

Well done to her! Shows that not every teenager is just a stereotype these days

That's what makes her exceptional :whistle: :P :laugh: ...she's still got 3 years to avoid the "stereotypical" though :dry: :lol:

Could quite easily have ended in tragedy too. I think the views were just split between those accepting she was doing it and wishing her well and those that were troubled by something seen as too scary for their own comfort levels (for themselves and their kids). Would have been just as impressive if she was Granny from the Beverley Hillbillys. :laugh: :laugh:

Both her and her parents are brave risk takers....but they still haven't shown they're up to going out in The Force :P :laugh:

Archived