any idea on the threadfin record?

Eug

i've never caught one myself, but hoping to do so come BRC. i was just emailed a picture of what is "apparently" a 15kg threadfin. this thing is huge, i don't know the angler and the email was passed through a mutual friend.

here's an attached pic. have another pic but has the angler's face (which is actually a better pic as you have the guy's body as comparison), but i don't think they'd be too happy if i posted their mug without their consent and i know how the forum frowns upon edited images. 15kg_threadfin_2.jpg

edit: the fish was caught quite a few months ago.

post-3471-144598510358_thumb.jpg

yeah man, nailed him the same weekend you did i think. caught off moreton so mine wasn't as nice and red as yours was. measured 39cm and was damn tasty - one of the best eating fish i've ever had. actually caught him on a tiny pike fillet, he snagged me good on his initial run as i wasn't expecting a jack. maintained pressure on him and as soon as i got a bit of give i skull dragged him outta here. 1-3kg rod 6lb braid with 10lb fluro the leader was frayed for about a meter was lucky to get him up actually!

here's the pic, just let me know if it contravenes with the rules. it's not blacked out or anything, just blurred. 15kg_threadfin_copy.jpg

post-3471-144598510362_thumb.jpg

aidan there are a few verieties of threadfin found in aussie waters and the one we get here is the king threadfin salmon or known from bunderberg south as the burnett salmon it grows to 30kg some guys from the site have got them in the river to 18kg

markaidanwebb wrote:

Australian record for Threadfin is 14.6kgs taken in Broome

In the Gulf of Carpentaria they are estimated to be able to grow up to 40kg.

**Stats taken from Western Angler Magazine**

Hey Mark, this article they are talking about the King Threadfin, do you think its incorrect or not up to date, or people catching the 18kg threadys should let The all-tackle, Game Fishing Association of Australia know for their records?

/>http://www.westernangler.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=101&KeyWords=threadfin

aidanwebb wrote:

Hey Mark, this article they are talking about the King Threadfin, do you think its incorrect or not up to date, or people catching the 18kg threadys should let The all-tackle, Game Fishing Association of Australia know for their records?

/>http://www.westernangler.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=101&KeyWords=threadfin

from my understanding i have to be a member of the organization to lodge a record application, i thought because i caught it on braid and not pretest with the sample of leader and line i was not eligible to apply for a record, i know ANSA australian records require so many metres of the line and trace and witnesses to apply!

• 2 years later...
nice threadie! i had mine weighed at charltons on some big dial scales and it went 18kgs! grants guide says that they can grow to 2.2mtrs and a weight of 36kgs and that is from a book from 1974 ! so there would be more up to date info out there on the possible max size in australian waters!

hey mate how long was your 18kg thready??

• 9 years later...
35 minutes ago, Trevor 28 said:

Hi my name Trevor , when coming back from a fishing trip in the Mary river with two nice theadfin and feeling pretty chuffed at 1250 and the other 1300 we found a filleted threadfin 1678cm long on the rocks beside the boat ramp at river heads queensland. Made me wonder how big they get.

Hey Trevor

I’m pretty sure I read somewhere that in one edition of Grants Guide he said they get to 2.2m. You wouldn’t get one any bigger than 1.5m in SEQ - maybe right up north though.

Those are some massive theadies, nice work too! 
Cheers Hamish