Live baiting, let it run or strike early?

thriller

Had my first real live bait session on sunday.Firstly started with herring collection with a cast net ( thanks Tugger for the demonstration ;) opens every time now.

Fished the seaway and kept getting either heads only or fish with guts taken.Tried in the back in the nose and lips but no hook ups.My rig was a 1/0 mustad live bait hook with small lead weight direct against the hook and a baitrunner reel.

your welcome Bri The Pom wrote:

Had my first real live bait session on sunday.Firstly started with herring collection with a cast net ( thanks Tugger for the demonstration ;) opens every time now.

Fished the seaway and kept getting either heads only or fish with guts taken.Tried in the back in the nose and lips but no hook ups.My rig was a 1/0 mustad live bait hook with small lead weight direct against the hook and a baitrunner reel.

Went out to the seaway on saturday with live herring in mind and the contents of this post.

cast netted some decent size herring plenty for a few hours fishing.

1st rig ball sinker on to a swivel then 60cm leader to hook and livie through the eyes, this sinker kept getting snagged so changed to.

small sinker directly on to a 1/0 mustad big gun hook and a livie through the front eye socket.cast out with plenty of line and then engage baitrunner on the free setting. with the baitrunner on you get out the habit of striking. so first run line ripping off 5 - 10 secs start winding and set the hook fish on 50cm tailor(dinner).

Exactly the same and 2nd fish 60cm jewie ( returned)

Kept to this and had 2 bigger runs but bust off both times and then went home.

So let it run for me !!!!

Cheers

Bri.

Archived