Redclawing Somerset on 60th b'day

big al

Got to Somerset dam on Sunday around 1pm set up camp at kirkleagh right next to the water so as to keep an eye on boat .up early Monday set the redclaw traps. Back to check them not a one after 5 hrs in water and that’s were we got a lot last xmass so a move to some were else left them all night pulled them next morning 4 in 8 traps not very good at all and bait has been eaten arah whats going on here then? checked the operahouse traps the funnel entry hole is right on the bottom of the traps so i would say redclaw had a feed then out the hole again (these were new traps from bcf )so retire the funnels so they are off the bottom. By now it is Wednesday morning and only a handful of redclaw. F--- the red claw it is now my 60th birthday so out with the vodka and coke aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Wednesday gone .

Bommie and Bassythekid are coming up on Thursday, will set the traps then. The boys arrive 10-30am, so out to find another spot for the traps headed down towards the spit about half way down found a spot where there were no other redclaw traps ( which was not easy)as floats everywhere found a spot in a nice little bay set the traps.

Back for lunch while having lunch we got a visit from hungry looking DINGO bloody hell took a photo. So we’re off about 6pm to check traps first one about 6 redclaw the next ones HOLYSHIT trap full 20+ and so on it went one run of the traps we got about 80 back to camp for dinner out to pull the traps again and another 40+ this time 10pm so back to camp for some sleep .Up early next morning check traps got about 40 . So Friday and sat nights got another 200+redclaw all up would have been around 350 redclaw yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, the best time for the redclaw I would definitely say would be of a night and check them at least a couple of times during the night. Bommie and Bassy left. I stayed till Tuesday did a bit of fishing only got 1 bass and 2gar, ar well. Tuesday morning time to pack up and head off home will be back again next year well that’s our REDCLAW trip,

also had a run in with a 2 1/2 metre brown snake that wnted to make our camp home,

Thanks,

big al

ps had our traps checked at least once by share farmers so be warned

young oneIMG_2612_AFO-20091118.jpg

tugger wrote:

good read big al awesome there's some big boys there this is reminding me to check all the pots are right before we toss out up there when we head out on the weekend after the brc

mark

tugger if your going on the weekend you would want to get there very very early as they all started to roll in on friday evening and sat morning (all the skiers) at least they did last weekend that is ;) al

Archived