CAIRNS 13/09/09

fishguru5

hi guys

sorry for this exceedingly late report have been a bit busy and thought i would post a report on my trip to cairns. i went out privately off a family friends boat to "the shelf" although it was a extremely long trip out it was worth it it was a perfect day calm and clear visibility was around 22 metres it was beautiful :P . we tried trolling for some yellowfin tuna but was not to be :( . we then moved to the shallower water around 40 metres just before dusk, but at the time ther where only pickers i.e sea bream and very small cod, when night came we moved to water where it ranged from 100-300 metres. this is where it started to pick up. in the 100 - 150 metres we where picking up quality nanygai around 5 kilo and a few unwanted species such as sharks, reef toads, and others :angry: . as the unwanted species got thick we moved to 200-300 metres of water. at this time on every drop we pulled in a decent fish. the species at this time included red emperor, spangled emperor, and large rosy jobfish. biggest rosy jobfish was around 5 kilo and biggest red emperor of the night was around 6 kg. allthough we where having alot of fun our arms gave in and we headed home:( all in all it was my most memerable offshore trip and hope to do it all again soon ;)

pat Jby_and_Nani.jpg

thanks guys ;) did have alot of fun and yes i did do a bit of inshore fishing in the daintree. ended up with a very large butter bream looking thing in the net haha and a fair few large trevally on my lures could have been better but i didnt know the area so i think i did alright

pat

btw picture is the species not the size :PFishing_With_pat_Shultz_spot_X_and_bream_gear_004.jpg

Archived