Big Johns Bait scent

RichH

I was recentlly fishing holt street , fresh mullet fillets for estuary species , i was there with a mate , another fella asked if he could squeeze in an fish aswell , that was no worries , he also had fresh mullet fillets , he rigged up , cube on his hook , then got out a little spray bottle of "Big Johns" garlic scent.. gave his bait a lil spray , then cast out ..we would have been there approx 2 hours , he left after an hour and a half with 3 legal bream , decent size , we only caught a few small bream and an eel , so jus a question of peoples experience etc ..was it just luck? or do these attractants really work over normal bait? ..i am aware of the gulps etc and the juice they come in as a scent , but what about normal bait , should i be marinating prawns and mullet over night , lemon , ginger , dash of sea salt? haha , cheers RichH B)

I was over at Cleveland once a few yrs back when I didn't know much about fishing the Cleveland area.

Met an old timer, he had a few legal squire and a flatty, we caught nothing.

Well when he was packing his car I started talking to him, checkin his rig, sinker and...bait.

He had a circle hook 60cm leader around 30lb and a sinker.

But the bait was the suprise...

He pulled out a Milo tin and showed me his squid and bullock liver, marinating in kerosine.

Off tO the servo I go with my bottle of kero from woolies, throw the squid into the kero, put it under the sink for the next night.

Went out the next night fished the kero squid, just on high on the Cleveland rockwalls, bang! 40 cm squire.

The olD guy reckons it makes a scent trail ;)

I don't bother with it these days but its a good bait technique alright.

Dan

Where would one buy "big john's" scent or a spray aerosol of attractant? I've only seen the crap down Kmart that didn't work for me. I know DinkumDog likes a bit of tuna oil, and some of it even gets on his lures.....I've tried mullet gut dipped in breadcrumbs with varying results, makes a burley trail.

Hi RichH Forget the lemon,the acetic reaction is only good on cooked fish,garlic is better than ginger,only use coarse salt and then only if you want to firm your mullet strips up,wrap them in a bit of paper towel,and sit in fridge overnight(in a container)

cheers Gad ;)

Archived