Help me pic a car to tow my boat

Do$tylz

Hey all,

So... since my brother has come back from Canada, and I now have a boat, its time to get another car. But since I don't have a car at home with a towbar, we figured.. lets get a car with a towbar :)

So we've been thinking along the lines of a little 4x4.... not a ghey one like an x-trail (hahahahaha :P ... not poking at anyone... *cough*angus*cough*). But we've been looking at those old-school little landcruisers or jeeps. Time to beef up my garage.

Really... this car just needs to tow the boat... and be roadworthy and bulletproof. And make it as far as maybe Bundy.... at max.

Something under the 8k range... (unless its awesome).

So.. advice - here's some cars that we've looked at over the last day on carsales.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7735947&__sid=12400321AA00&__Qpb=true&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201282%204294965086&seot=1&__No=30&__Nne=15&trecs=556&silo=1011

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7418487&__sid=12400321AA00&__Qpb=true&Cr=10&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201282%204294965086&seot=1&__No=15&__Nne=15&trecs=556&silo=1011

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7659192&__sid=12400321AA00&__Qpb=true&Cr=6&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201282%204294962861%201707&SearchAction=N&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=249&silo=1011

Something along those lines if there are other. Big and pimp :D

Kriso - if I get one with a 350 in it... will it really help my mo grow??? :P :silly:

This should be fun :)

I'd consider number three. Those 351's in the jeeps would suck guzzaline like mad....especially the first one !!! That thing would go like a cat with it's tail on fire.

Yep the little yellow diesel one would be my pick. It's not a powerhouse but it would get you there and back again....if the motors not fragged already !!!

Choose carefully.

hi Henry

the first one looks good mate!

although you wont need half that power to pull a trailor boat!

you dont need much hp to pull boats just low gearing imo!

if its out of those three i would go the first one!

do you need a vehicle that nice just to pull a boat tho? if not i would rather recomend a mitsubishi pajero swb two door, or a patrol shorty,or a lada niva(as a cheapie),or ya cant go wrong with a full sise pajero! lol (ive got the o4mod)

you can get a very nice 96-99 mod for under 8k ezy and the pajeros can do 400.000kms+ if looked after!

in my mechanical oppinion i would also say go with mitsubishi or nissan if possable!

hope this helps?

goodluck Ian.

Hahaha. thanks for some of the not so helpful yet entertaining replies guys :P

tez - feel like selling it for under 8?? :P

LGM - So it looks like the Jeeps should stay out of the equation??

Feral - no falcons of commowhores are allowed in my garage. Unless they;'re the new ones. And actually.... a fourbie would be great for beach bashing too :)

Shortie - I can too... just not for under 8k...

nadders - can you imagine what that'd look like towing my boat?? I think BigTez would come and steal his old boat back from me.

Rummy - would it eat petrol like a fat kid and cake?? nah don't need a nice looking car... but I don't want a rustbucket laughing stock car. Can't pull a pimp boat with a absolute hole of a car. I'll look into those 2door pajeros et al.

dassa wrote:

Hey Henry my old my had fj55 landcruise and you can't kille'm good unit and tow very wall as we used to to a 15 1/2 foot boat fully loaded with out any drama good luck mate.

cheers dassa

Very True the olde Fj 55's are tough as :)

I owned one for years never missed a beat but I have to say they are the biggest rust buckets around :angry: common fault the roof rusts out :( UMMM come to think of it so does the floor (reason for getting rid of it my mate put his foot through the floor while out spotlighting one night :woohoo: ) It was a sad day when she left :(

cheers Gaz

Do$tylz wrote:

Feral - no falcons of commowhores are allowed in my garage. Unless they;'re the new ones. And actually.... a fourbie would be great for beach bashing too :)

The fourbie (a proper one with a transfer case and dual range) would almost be a necessity to get up your driveway, especially in the wet. That is if you are going to have to store it there. I put the ute in LR when i backed it in.

Feral wrote:

Cheapest crappiest old falcon you can lay your hands on. Then no worries where you leave it parked.

Ferals been spying on me!

A car like mine will set you back about $2000 in really good nick. Its the car I use to get me to the rough pubs I work at and leave unattended at the deserted boat ramps like Bells Creek. Even reverses your boat up the driveway with its little cheese cutter wheels. :cheer:

Lee might have a real cheap tojo in his front yard :laugh:

Do$tylz wrote:

hahaha very true... nice cars and boat in the garage... crap outside.

No, no "nice cars" either, both my current cars bought new, never spent a day in the garage! Kayaks and trailer one side, mowers and fishing gear the other side!

Although I suppose if I did have a riceburner like yours I'd like to hide it from the neighbours to ;)

if your dead set on gettin a new car negotiate this dude down to around 8k

/>http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=2&PriceTo=408&R=7742477&trecs=102&__sid=12478399DC7E&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216%201282%204294962861%204294962537%20900%20408&silo=1011&keywords=

or

/>http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7890351&__Qpb=true&Cr=10&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__No=30&__N=1216%201282%204294962861%204294962537%20900%20408&silo=1011&PriceTo=408&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=102&__sid=12478399DC7E

wow your actully considering a V8 lol, man in all honesty i reckon not one of those cars will be reliable, cheap to run or register (i think over a grand for V8 now). i reckon pick up a cheap ute gearing is sweet for towing you can chuck shit in the back and away you go. if you want a 4X4 then i reckon the same as rummy ( mechanics must think alike) go the pajero. yeah they use a little juice if ya drive it like your s2000 but there not to bad, just dont get one on LPG its not worth the cost in maintance or fixing what the LPG has fucked.

The first 2 V8s woukd be expensive to run, rego would be over 1k and

insurance for heavily modified veichles might turn into a nightmare.

Not to mention emissions laws on the horizon.

The yellow one looks like a bit of a pig, but its kind of cheap.

The Lux has 240,000 on the clock and he is askin a bit much for somthing with so many KM.

didn't look at the last one.

zan0_15 wrote:

davo didd u drive it out of the mudhole? lol or was it a tow job?

i have been towed out of the hole twice .

but have driven through it 100 times or more.

1 time was bald tyres .couldn't get traction to get me out .

the other i got to excited and hit it to fast .bow wave of the roof and sink .:)

think that was a tow job .

the pics took while it was still sinking end up water up to the bottom of seats ,another inch and we would have had wet asses.

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

zan0_15 wrote:
davo didd u drive it out of the mudhole? lol or was it a tow job?

i have been towed out of the hole twice .

but have driven through it 100 times or more.

1 time was bald tyres .couldn't get traction to get me out .

the other i got to excited and hit it to fast .bow wave of the roof and sink .:)

think that was a tow job .

the pics took while it was still sinking end up water up to the bottom of seats ,another inch and we would have had wet asses.

haha good stuff......where was that at? have u eva been down to the tracks at ormeau?

yer rite does sound like a good one! have been to ormeau few times now and still havnt done all the tracks....but ones i have done can be pretty challenging for my pretty much stock 75 series!!....great fun but. good deep mudhole there to that i damn near lost my rig to due to hitting it to hard!!! dug the front end right in and only just came out the otherside! was all worth it but haha

seems like you need a big v8 to pull your little boat.

well I bet you will be going fishing a lot and pulling your little boat a lot.

so get yourself a nasty old rice burner skyline and hook her up, and watch it poo itself.

My commodore has 300,000km on it, I drive it every day, wake up and smell the roses.

Get a vp UTE OR vN UTE IN GOOD NICK, the series I or II Buicks are nice on tourque.

THEN IF YOU THINK THEY HAVE NO BALLS GO A v8 UTE , vp OR vn (vS IF YOU CAN SOURCES ONE)

cheers

DAN

F_H.... sorry man :D i think a "big v8" to pull my little boat would be a bit of overkill. And I'm not really a fan of the excessive rego, insurance and fuel guzzlling.

I'd consider a VP... but no to a vn.

I think riceburners are quite reliable actually :) maybe not really made for towing but it'd probably do it.

the search continues...

Archived