Live bait tanks ANY SUGGESTIONS

ozskippy

ok so you guys have helped me with selecting a boat - 4.2 dory then you helped me select the sounder furuno ls4100 now it is time i got myself a live bait tank of some description but i can decide on what i want

I was thinking of rigging up and esky with a bige pump that i drop over the side any body have any experience with live bait tabks or any picturwe that may help me decide what to do. I would like it removable hence the thought of going with a esky type deal

what do you guys think as usual i have no experience in this just sic of changing the bucket water

Oz I think it depends on how your going to use it? If you plan on catching bait prior to a long journey to a spot but want something portable just use a cool container like an esky and a battery operated pump with an airstone or bilge pump set-up would be the go. If you are doing short distances then tuggers' idea would be simple and very effective.

I use the pump in my yak as a bucket in the water would create too much drag, weight and size, but I will make the bucket set-up tugger suggested for the tinny.

Cheers Tugger B)

tugger wrote:

for the last 20yrs i've used a 20lt bucket with lid and holes drilled in to the lid and the top 100mm of bucket then a 2m length of rope for throwing overboard it keeps livies going for days no batteries needed

Now that is the goods not only cheep but would work way better than anything you can buy

Whiskers wrote:

Bias have some cheap johnson portable airators about $30-40 from memory they have alligator clips to connect your battery and suction cups to keep it on the bottom I'm gonna get one soon for my under floor esky and hardwire it to my switch board.

Cam

johnson pumps market these under the names: Ice Chest Aerator Kit or In-well Aerator Kit there designed to fit in a 44litre Willow type esky.

Go to www.johnson-pump.com/au/ pump in the above kit name in their seach thingo and all should be revealed

seems to be what your after

cheers Gad

edit..Be aware if you buy these through a store,they may require you to buy 2 separate packs to get the complete outfit.

If you buy through johnson pump they sell the complete package,..theywere about $49.00 a 1-2 years ago.Give them a ring on 3899 8574 and check about this

the bilge pump on the aerator has suction cups to hold it to the bottom of the esky and a pipe up with a spray bar, so it only circulates and aerates the water. Even if you have a bilge that you drop over the side, you have to work out what to do with the water as it overflows. Maybe just let it flow into the bottom of the boat and have an automatic bilge pump in the back.

ozskippy wrote:

do these not have to be plumbed through the transom???

they also have an in-well aerator kit that you can use in an esky,that allows you to run hoses/pipes out of the esky(you could plumb them through the lid or side depending what you want to do)to the water or container of water,you could do an over flow the same,just need tohave a good seal around the lid of esky.

Best bet give them a phone call,tell them what you would like to do and hear what they have to suggest/offer.

Archived