how far out can i go safetly

stunards

Hi guys

i have a 4.2m alumimium stacer with a 40 2stroke motor, just wondering how far out and what are the conditions that would be ideal for this sort of boat and what is the conditions to stay home. I mostly fish in moreton bay area. I have been slowly building my skills in handling the boat, started in lakes and rivers and now getting a bit more adventurous in the bay! Any help on this matter would be great!

on a good day you could go where eva you want in the bay mate as long as u have enough fuel of course! there are always tinnies eeven smaller than yours putting around when the wind is down but also seen them out there in pretty choppy conditions......it really comes down to what you feel confident and comfortable with at the time.

I have the same setup as you. Agree with bb, but in summer the breeze tends to kick in around 11am though.

Join the VMR and log-on when you're heading into the bay is probably the most responsible thing you could do for your safety apart from the usual things driving to conditions etc. Turn your radio on every hour for a weather update too. A quick storm coming thru can be a bit uncomfortable in the open areas.

i had a 4.2 tinny with a 40 and have been to boat rock off point lookout stradbroke island and was fine just pick your days,it just comes down to you and how you feel,and knowing your boat and what it can handle,you should be right in the bay and the surrounding islands,keep a eye on the weather anything over 10 knots could get a bit hairy

my 25 yammy 2 stroke requires 25 litres to get to bulwer from pinkenba boat ramp and back again while hitting up some beacons on the way. so with a 40 i would say carry a minimum of 50 ltrs if you intend to go to moreton island , another key for the bay is tides and wind direction play a huge part of bad swell in the bay, most trips you will get a smooth part of the day with the wind and tide going the same direction, but as soon as the tide turns it gets bad if the winds are 15knots or stronger, i tend to pick the 5-10 knot days and have no trouble in a 399 v nose punt. but can handle 10-15 it just a bit wet and rough but just take your time if it picks up!

your doing things right, "baby steps" there is no way some 1 can advise you on how far to go, as there are so many things to take into consideration, but booty is on the money. learn how the bay works, weather wise, it's a good start.and if venturing further affield, if you can, go on a tag along trip, i'm sure there will be plenty comming up soon chasing mackrel over at moreton at places such as the stix and the sand hills, thats a great place to start off, but be over prepped rather than under gunned. eg. take a lil extra fuel, have something to pour it with, not a funnel! a rain coat stowed somewhere maybe and a bloody good hat. and heaps of water, and sunscreen.

robbo.

noname wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
I think you can go 2 nautical miles roughly 1.6 km off shore with out epirb but you will need flares, v sheet and a little mirror for signaling.

Not sure exactly what 2 nautical miles mesures too though?

Cam

1 nauticle mile = 1852 mteres!!! ;)

Sweet what's a thousand meters any way :P

Whiskers wrote:

noname wrote:
Whiskers wrote:
I think you can go 2 nautical miles roughly 1.6 km off shore with out epirb but you will need flares, v sheet and a little mirror for signaling.

Not sure exactly what 2 nautical miles mesures too though?

Cam

1 nauticle mile = 1852 mteres!!! ;)

Sweet what's a thousand meters any way :P

actually 2100 metres plus your 1600metres = 3700 metres = 3.7 km`s ;)

I hope you don`t use"sweet what`s a few litres anyway" formula to work out fuel litres required per return trip :dry: :laugh:

in my old 14 ft quintrex 30 hp merc cv

id go to morton around buller on a bit under 20 litres then id refill there then head out around the top of morton go out to shallow/deep tempest drive around out there fishing for a day untill id used 1 tank then id head back to buller as it was normally getting rougher id then refuel and chase a few tuna on the way back across the bay

by refueling at buller i kept 2 tanks in reserve at all times in case bad things happen i also normaly traveled in close company with 1 or more other boats

going out there id rarely take a passsenger as i preferd to keep the weight down low so i could bob over the waves

a couple of times i had to follow the ferry back from buller to help flatten the waves as it was very uncomfortable on the way home

up north on the live trout boats they often use 3.99 metre tinnys several hundred killomatres of shore as they have a mother ship to help with fuel etc

also some keen bastard took a 4.5 haines to japan to prove the reliability of honda 4 stokes

so at the end of the day how long is a piece of string . as long as you feel comfortable with

and as the others have said make sure you carry the right safety gear

jason

keep an eye out for a few of us going fishing down the gold coast if you want to tag along ,the gold coast seaway is good on an incoming tide with low swell conditions and point danger at the border sticks out along way east which leaves all the inshore reefs south of the seaway protected from any sort of southerly wind its like 1 big bay in close we''ll be targetting pelagics like mackerel ,kingfish etc it would be a good place for anyone here to cut your teeth on

ps. you'll need a reef anchor

mark

Archived