Kookaburra Park 20/3

rayke1938

As planned went there this morning with John and Graham.

Was last of run out tide when we arrived at 7.10. End of ramp was quite steep but still useable. Threw cast net just off end of ramp and got 12 banana prawns first cast and one bony bream about 30cm.

Next 10 casts only got a few small herring. Moved downstream and took nearly an hour to get enough liveys. A bonus was 2 bream about 30cm and a large mullet.

By this time the tide had turned so we anchored up in usual place opposite the pontoon and commenced fishing.

It was very slow.

We were fishing with the liveys suspended about 8ft below floats.

I had a really good run the fish ( shark ) just kept on taking line and I thought I would never be able to turn it. It took over 100m of braid and I was down to the backing before I turned it. Anyhow after 15 exciting minutes it bit through the 80 lb leader.

I then caught 2 bullys around the 80 cm mark.

We were also fishing for small catfish to use for bait and every now and then we were getting bitten off so I put out a line with a steel trace with a flesh bait on it.

I got another strong run that flet larger than the 2 bulleys that I had caught and BUGGERIT bitten off again.

Then got an eel around a metre so we chopped it up and fished for an hour using eel fillet for bait but nothing. When using eel for shark bait do you use fillets of just short chunks. I used a 4inch lomg fillet.

Packed it in around 1pm

Score

Ray 2 bullies,one eel and 4 catfish.

John 10 catfish.

Graham no comment but he isnt smiling.

Have asked feral to post photos.

Ray

Great reportB) ! Even better, you caught some fish - better than I've been able to manage lately:( . Never fished Kooka, but it looks like a great spot - how deep d'you reckon the water off the end of the ramp is? I'd be keen to have a crack once the boat's back in the water, could use some advice (seems to be a pretty popular spot).

It keeps dropping steeply and I think that sounder recorded 8 feet about a boats length off the end. If you have a big boat and a 2wd car you may have trouble recovering your boat at dead low tide. I think you would get wheelspin pulling it up over the hump. This was the first time I had seen the ramp at low tide. Over the weekend there are quite large ski boats that use the ramp and a lot of them are drive on trailers so maybe they wait for the tide to come in a bit.

Ray

Ray when using eel for bait we always fillet it and have caught sharks on a single small hook and small bait for catfish up to baits about 12 inches long with a pair of 10/0's in it.

You said your 80 pound leader was getting chomped. Wire or mono??

When using the bigger livies do you fish them in freel spool or with drag engaged?

Sound like you had a ripper trip and nice picsB)

Leader is 5ft length of plastic coated wire.

Fish liveys in freespool.

I also forgot to mention the eel that I caught has dissapeared. I chopped its head off and cut off a 5 inch section that I filleted and used for bait. The tail section was wriggling a bit in the bottom of the boat and I just left it there. When we got back to the ramp it had gone. Wasnt under carpet or under console so can only assume it somehow crawled over the side which is amazing seeing it had no head.

rayke1938 wrote:

Leader is 5ft length of plastic coated wire.

Fish liveys in freespool.

I also forgot to mention the eel that I caught has dissapeared. I chopped its head off and cut off a 5 inch section that I filleted and used for bait. The tail section was wriggling a bit in the bottom of the boat and I just left it there. When we got back to the ramp it had gone. Wasnt under carpet or under console so can only assume it somehow crawled over the side which is amazing seeing it had no head.

crazy eels maybe your decky got hungry :evil: :evil:

also i noticed your brag mat a bit scrunched up on the eel lol:P

well its very interesting to hear that you are getting bitten through with wire as well Ray! As far as I know the heaviest multistrand coated wire (below Terry grade wire that is) you can get is 120 pound, so maybe I'll give that a crack next season.

A few others have reported wire bite throughs so maybe there are a few big bities swimming around the upper reaches:woohoo:

Archived