Jump to content

Boating ages


Recommended Posts

Here it is straight from the website for licensing

Recreational marine driver licence

In Queensland, a marine licence is required to operate a recreational boat which is powered by a motor greater than 4.5 kW (over 6 HP) and you must have a personal watercraft (PWC) licence to operate a personal watercraft.

Valid marine licences

Licences issued by Maritime Safety Queensland in accordance with the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) Act 1994 and include:

recreational marine driver licence

recreational ship master's licence

speed boat driver's licence

current commercial marine licences as master — for example coxswain.

Valid equivalent marine licences

Licences that are issued by other safety authorities within the Commonwealth of Australia or other entities recognised by Maritime Safety Queensland include current boating licences issued in other states (excludes junior licences).

Obtaining a Queensland recreational marine driver licence

To obtain a Queensland recreational marine driver licence you must:

be aged 16 years or older

demonstrate you are competent to navigate and manage a recreational boat by successfully completing an approved BoatSafe licence training course

complete the Medical Fitness Disclosure Statement (PDF**, 26KB) and present it to the BoatSafe training provider at enrolment for the BoatSafe course. If you are unable to complete the Medical Fitness Disclosure Statement due to concern about your medical fitness, you should contact Maritime Safety Queensland on +61 7 3120 7354z

provide satisfactory evidence of identity — a photographic Queensland driver licence (current or expired less than two years) is acceptable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And here it is for the offshoot question for registrations

Recreational ships

In Queensland, all ships with a motor or auxiliary of 3 kilowatts or more (over 4 horsepower) must be registered when on the water. A completed Recreational Ship Registration Application (PDF**, 178KB) form must be lodged at a Department of Transport and Main Roads customer service centre. Telephone enquiries about recreational ship registration can be made to the call centre on 13 23 80b from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm EST (GMT +10).

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...