Mackerel - Any idea?????

Bri The Pom

The top photos look like a bonito of some sort. Did it have conical canine-like teeth? Although the bonito I've caught have unbroken horizontal stripes. The Watson's Leaping bonito has a wavy slimy mack pattern on the upper half and stripes on the lower.

Didn't know you could get bonito this far north. And the silver one with the four dots looks like a queenfish, slightly more elongated than usual. Didn't know you could get queenies this far south! :)

Did you catch them in Brissy?

Yep those look just like the bonito I've caught. I had a quick look on Google and that top one looks like a Pacific bonito with its vertical and horizontal stripes. Never seen one before. Nice catch, by the way. Great fighters on light gear.

Do you eat them? I ate one once and it didn't taste good. I've since been told I probably prepared it wrongly. The flesh once thawed turned into mush so it wasn't good for bait either.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

If you salt the flesh when using it for bait it maintains its consistancy better. try smoking bonito and they're also a sashimi fish. if you really wanted to you could prepare your own bonito flakes- they're a japanese condiment that reminds a lot of people of fish food :P

roobs wrote:

If you salt the flesh when using it for bait it maintains its consistancy better. try smoking bonito and they're also a sashimi fish. if you really wanted to you could prepare your own bonito flakes- they're a japanese condiment that reminds a lot of people of fish food :P

Going to hit the seaway in the morning,try and stock the freezer with bonito and then troll some lures around mermaid reef and try for a mackerel.

Archived