Noosa JackOff goes well

Didley

The jackoff went off well, we had a great bunch of blokes, 22 in all, the jacks were a little slow on it , but you get that.There were 7 jacks caught in all, and proberbly 4 or 5 stories of monsters lost ( yeah right , bloody catfish I reckon , Obi_wan)

The comp started at 5am Saturday, with everyone there on time. A quick chat and we were off in different directions, some down towards the Sheraton or Weyba Creek the others up between the lakes. I waited around for a half hour to see if any one else turned up then it was off to the John's Landing area to chuck lures. I don't know where every one disappeared to bot I didn't see any one for a good hour or so. At around 8 or 9 o'clock I got molested by a 50 odd cm red, out off the snags about 200 metres past John's. He'd done a good job on my Tilson Barra (Jaffa), it was well down his throat and in his gills. Bleeding like a pig, unfortunately.I took a quick bragmat photo and and raced him over to Creek Vermins boat to get a photo of me holding him and get a little advice on the release ( Keith can you send me that photo please).

The advice was to release , there a tough fish , he'll be right. I thought after orginising a C&R comp it wouldn't look great if I came in with a big red fish in the esky , so back in he went. Didn't look good on entry but he soon disappeared, and I hope he's OK.

So I'd set the standard for the boys, and it was time to gloat every chance I got . It's great the way you can see the minds of people ticking away when when you say 50. 50 by the way is a good fish for Noosa river, they rarely get caught above about that figure there, so the boys needed to think big.My plan was to get a monster that night down the Sheraton way, at a secret spot, that isn't such a secret any more( me and my big mouth).

I'd arranged to pick up Pistol Pete at he cable ferry at 10.30am, so I did that and we went off armed with a little more local knowledge. I'd spoken to PP many times over the net, but never actually met him in person, so it was great to catch up, finally. We peppered the Johns area with hard and soft bodies for a few hours before lunch for no result. Then it was time for a break.

We got together with about half the lads for a bite to eat and a good chat. That was a lot of fun and very entertaining (thanks Darylive).Then it was time to try down deep with Softies and Prawnstars, again no hits. So Pete knew a good spot down the river a bit where he scored a few big 50+ fish last year, so we were off.

Full noise out of the river and into the first lake about a 100 meters BANG, I thought I'd hit a log, but on raising the motor all was good down there??? We were in the channel with plenty of water, so . I turn the key, Nothin' she was seized, we wacked the MinnKota in and fought the wind 4 a while, after 20 minutes or so I gave the key another turn, and it started but sounded like a tin can full of bolts and metal grinding . It felt a little like the stock market just collapsed. My and Pete's race was run, 2.30ish and the Jackoff was all over 4 us.Obi_Wan and Brandon came along and towed us back to the Ferry and waited around while Pete drove me to get the car and trailer. With a little drama the boat was extracted.

It was basically a waiting game for me from there till Sunday for the weigh-in at 9am. To my surprise no one had taken advantage of my misfortune and the big fella was still the biggest, so I'd taken out the 09 Jackoff. We had a lucky draw to hand out some prizes and left over money, cupa coffee, a chat and the event was over for 09.

Thanks to every one for attending and making it such a success, and a special to Barra Jacks Kawana, for the voucher and stuff.

Thanks every one

Cheers Dids

Didley wrote:

Don't know how to attach a photo here so just imagine a 50cm Jack, OK :S

Nice read mate well done.

If you are having trouble with pictures its likely it could just be a size issue. Have a read of the sites terms and conditions for size limits (I usually just do mine 300X400 pixels).

We will be hosting in the new year the first ever AFO Summer Classic as a comp or a social (sponsors pending) and Jacks will hopefully be a target for this if you and the lads are keen :)

Angus

Archived