Rod locker

tomca

A friend of mine has started making these rod lockers out of powdercoated aluminium.

I'm considering buying one to put up on the roof rack on the falcon and in the back of the truck when camping. My collection of 1 piece rod is growing and sooner or later ones gonna get shortened in my pre-dawn shenanigans :dry:

gDSC01845.jpg

Its carpeted inside with velcro straps and big enough for 6 rods with reels attached.

Heres a web link for anyone else who is interested
/>http://www.rodlocker.com.au/fishing-rod-gallery

tomca wrote:

The one I'm looking at is a touch over $300.

Why the hell would it need a 'securing rack system'? It comes with velcro strips that hold rods tight on the carpet.

Yea your right,

I was visualising $400+ reels on rods,and the reels vibrating/bouncing, on the lockers carpeted floor,on a car, boat & trailer outfit/caravan on a day,week-end,holidays trips travelling over reasonable distances,unsealed roads/tracks,travelling scoured/rocky/crappy sections of beach etc.

Sorry to be an alarmist,I`ll give myself an uppercut.

cheers Gad

justham wrote:

Has the lid got ply or something in it to stop a corner being lifted up?

Just looks a little easy to break into otherwise with only 1 lock in the middle.

It looks pretty tough to me and seems to be a very reasonable price for what you get .Doesnt matter how well you make something secure if some one really wants to knock ya stuff off they will find a way. :angry::)

justham wrote:

Has the lid got ply or something in it to stop a corner being lifted up?

Just looks a little easy to break into otherwise with only 1 lock in the middle.

Being aluminium, you could put a prybar under the mounting bolts and tear the whole box off too. If they are in the car it would be quicker to bust the glass than pry it open.

Its a rod box, not a safe. I'd be more worried about the hobie getting knocked off and its got a cable lock though the mirage hole and under the roof rack. Like Mick says, if some one want in they will find a way.

I posted this because its a clever, simple thing noone has available.

• 3 weeks later...

tomca wrote:

I've got my rod locker mounted to the car and makes rod storage a heck of a lot easier than feeding them into the car.

locker.jpg

All ready for the ABT round at Redcliffe in the morning B)

can def see its worth .

so much easier than trying to get your rods in a sedan .

even with a wagon the rods seam to bounce around or out of the straps and bounce about with the other crap in the car .

rods strapped on the roof rack ,seam to get scratched up .caught by trees etc .

def a good car or boat rod holder .

being it ally ,would work ok mounted in a tinny i reckon.

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

noname wrote:
moral of the story is if your gunna break a rod, it doesn't matter where or how it's stored or carried.

that's true

never had 1 brake in the car or storage .

always broke them while in my hands .

and broke a few now .

my original alarmist comment was about the reels vibrating/bouncing about,not the rods.

cheers

tomca wrote:

Gad wrote:

my original alarmist comment was about the reels vibrating/bouncing about,not the rods.

cheers

If the rods are secured, so are the reels. Its not a hard concept to grasp, is it??

Firstly, I think the Rod Locker is a good idea,and I`m not knocking the locker.

NO the concept is not hard to grasp,

with the information given,I`m sure it will be a good way to regularly transport combos,conveniently and safely on your average maintained roads,reasonable boating conditions etc.

My mental visualisation with the info given of,"it can hold 6 rods with reels on..held down by velcro" is 3 combos facing each other, X(2-3)number of velcro straps anchoring them to the carpeted floor,now preferably the reels will be facing up or they will be lying on their sides.

Outside of you average travelling conditions,and when the velcro has gathered dust and sand over time ,(and this happens anywhere) I`m thinking of places I`ve fished that requires travel over miles of corrogated dirt roads, cattle grids,negotiating obstacles,lousy beach surfaces etc,with constant vibration and bouncing through the vehicle I am not of the belief that some straps of velcro are all that secure to stop rotational turning completely.

Any way that`s just my way of thinking on it, it`s an opinion, the sun should come up tomorrow,then it`s Monday,Tuesday followed by W T F :) :laugh:

cheers Gad

;)

I guess you better not buy one, as it will not be good enough for something it is not designed for. And in response to the dirt and sand, you could clean and look after your gear.

Obviously you should just get over it and p!ss off out of my threads and take your negativity elsewhere

tomca wrote:

I guess you better not buy one, as it will not be good enough for something it is not designed for. And in response to the dirt and sand, you could clean and look after your gear.

Obviously you should just get over it and p!ss off out of my threads and take your negativity elsewhere

Tomca,I think your being a little thin skinned and a little shallow thinking here.

Your mate has hit on a good idea,

As to "I guess you better not buy one",I am at present thinking out, how to go about having something like the design of Berkley horizontal rod holders,(foam encased in a heavy duty plastic cover)incorporated into your mates locker,then I contact your mate to see if that is feasible,as my 2 older sons would be very interested.

I noticed in your photo that you picked up on the idea that the ends of the locker may not have been that secure,against an opportunist thief, so you deleted the centre lock device and incorporated a locking device near both ends,of your locker.Good thinking.

As to, "it will not be good enough for something its not designed for",maybe your mate`s next step would be to look at a Mark11 model for the number of people who go off bitumen for their fishing trips,there is also the ever increasing numbers of grey nomads overflowing on the highways all around Australia,many of whom go off the so called beaten track.

"in response to the dirt and sand, you could clean and look after your gear."

I do,I have a couple of reels that are over 40 years old,the only reason they do not get used occasionally, is I cant get parts for them.

"Obviously you should just get over it and p!ss off out of my threads and take your negativity elsewhere

• 10 months later...

Archived